sway bar torque

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Noct

sway bar torque

Post by Noct »

I downloaded the 88 M6 torque specs guide from this site to try to figure out how to change some of my suspension parts and I am confused on the rear sway bar links... I think they are sometimes referring to as connecting rods. Maybe trailing arms? All I saw in this document that seemed like it could be the right part was listed just under 3 series for some reason. It's posted below... does is show proper torque? or approximate? In () are ft/lbs. Thanks...
Attachments
Swaybar_Torque.png
Swaybar_Torque.png (21.84 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

The Bentley shows 16 to 17 ft/lbs for the swaybar links.
euro24

Post by euro24 »

Depends on the color of the hardware.

Basically, just snug it with the wrench.
Noct

Post by Noct »

Thanks guys.
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

torque requirements

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

I new I had it and finally located the link, everything you always need regarding torque requirements. Roger

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80wFx ... BYdDQ/edit
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

From what I have heard and learned over the years, torque recommendations are assessed as a matter of bolt size. One can then google torque specs or some such and it will give you specs based on bolt size.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: torque requirements

Post by Brucey »

rhanley 635csi89 wrote:I new I had it and finally located the link, everything you always need regarding torque requirements. Roger

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80wFx ... BYdDQ/edit
there is a link to a copy of the same document in the 'tech articles' section. There are numerous copies of this document on the internet in various places.

Unfortunately the document (in all the versions I have seen, which are invariably 136 pages long) appears not to be complete, in that it goes from section 27 to section 61 in the corresponding workshop manual. So no chassis and suspension torque specs then.

On the plus side it has a general section at the front that allows you to work out the maximum torque that various bolts should have; unfortunately this assumes that you can identify the strength rating of the bolt and furthermore that the female thread is strong enough to take that torque level.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Noct

Post by Noct »

bpoliakoff wrote:From what I have heard and learned over the years, torque recommendations are assessed as a matter of bolt size. One can then google torque specs or some such and it will give you specs based on bolt size.
The Bentley specs for the rear sway bar links (16-17 ft/lbs) is much less than what you'd figure based on the bolt size and strength... or least according to the bolt that came with my Lemfoerder part.