Mystery power steering hose and oil strainer

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

PTFunk

Mystery power steering hose and oil strainer

Post by PTFunk »

After putting it off for too long, last weekend I got motivated to find the source of a slow (but persistent) power steering fluid leak. After I emptied the reservoir of fluid and was taking it apart to replace the filter cartridge (#11 on RealOEM reservoir diagram below), I noticed that I didn't have the "Oil Strainer" (#17) as part of the stack that slides onto the rod. Then again, it didn't seem that I needed it, since I had the spring and cover over the cartridge. So do I actually need the strainer as well as the cartridge? I'm hoping not, since the cheapest I could find online was $52.

Once the reservoir was removed, I noticed some wetness around the hose end circled in red on the lower drawing. I also saw that the hose itself was suspect as it had a "5/8 inch" designation on it... unlikely to be OEM, right?! I'm guessing a previous owner replaced the original with something from the local parts store. The problem is that on the RealOEM drawing this hose (#13, grayed out) doesn't have a corresponding part number in the list! What gives? :-k Wouldn't the "notes" column just have ENDED if it was discontinued?
Attachments
Reservoir and hoses
Reservoir and hoses
PSF reservoir and hoses.png (139.95 KiB) Viewed 9121 times
PSF reservoir
PSF reservoir
PSF reservoir.png (119.54 KiB) Viewed 9121 times
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

any good?

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... oil_pipes/

NB this is for M635 rather than M6 parts but they ought to be the same...?

IIRC the reservoir is common to all E24/2 and the pump is the same as that used on M635 for at least some production dates?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Thanks for the quick reply, Brucey. Due to my over-tired state of mind it hadn't occurred to me to (a) look on another parts fiche site, (b) look for the M635 option, or (c) mention that mine is an '88 M6 (at least that's in my signature!). :oops:

I'll wait for a few others to chime in, but it looks like you've found the hose. Any thoughts on the strainer?
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
JCS

ATF Tank filter

Post by JCS »

PT,

you do not need #17

#10 and #11 are what came on my car
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
PTFunk

Re: ATF Tank filter

Post by PTFunk »

JCS wrote:PT,

you do not need #17

#10 and #11 are what came on my car
Great, that's what I was suspecting. There's a reasonably good seal made between the cover and the filter cartridge, and that should be all that's needed to filter fluid traveling among the hoses connected to the reservoir.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I bought power steering return hose p/n 32411131524 $16.24 from eeuroparts and 32411131545 suction hose $22.99. You cut them to length. Also add a reservoir cap gasket for the cover.That is #5 in the upper diagram. The hoses are marked "BMW" Originally they were cloth wrapped but now are not.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
gertab8

Post by gertab8 »

Apologize for jumping in with a related question. When I was doing a search for an answer, this thread came up.

I am having trouble with removing BMW clamp 32411128172, which is #8 in the above diagram. I have also attached a photo of it.

I recognize there is a spring pushing up against it.

Your help is appreciated, as I have never encountered this type of clamp before.

Thank you.
Attachments
Clip in E24 Power Steering Reservoir - smaller.JPG
Clip in E24 Power Steering Reservoir - smaller.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

That almost looks like a single use item. If you push down on the clip, to the teeth move freely?

If not, can you pry up on the teeth so they clear the retaining groove and it slides up the shaft?

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
gertab8

Post by gertab8 »

On realoem.com, it said this clamp is "ENDED". So I want to be able to re-use it, unless someone can point me to an alternative.

With that in mind, I have tried to move it down and also up, I have also tried squeezing the sides that have no visible cutouts, thinking it has a locking mechanism. None of it worked.

I may be wrong, but the spring behind it may be putting tension on this clamp.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Don't squeeze the sides. Just use a hook tool to lift it out. It can be reused. Also my car didn't come with the strainer.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
masonjones

Re: Mystery power steering hose and oil strainer

Post by masonjones »

I ordered the 4 low pressure return hoses and was stumped by the RealOEM diagram too. Turns out they are listed in 2 separate places under steering and also under brakes. These are the diagrams for an 85 635:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=34_0296
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=32_0245
1985 635CSi
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

As above,

My '84 635 just had filter; 9/86 M635 has the strainer too. Clamp can be re-used, just be careful wiggling it off!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
gertab8

Post by gertab8 »

Okay. I have tried using a hook, but the clip still will not budge. I need to re-use it still RealOEM says "ENDED", so I cannot purchase a replacement. Other ideas?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I don't think you need the lower clip; I think you can happily replace it with a washer (so that there is no chafing).

In fact on my car I've rid myself of the upper clip (#6) too; instead of that I have made a spacer tube such that when the cap parts (#3, #4) are fitted, they hold the other parts in the correct position.

That way I can dismantle the filter screen components in a few seconds, which I occasionally do in order to check the magnet for debris.

If you are thinking 'what magnet is that?' then I'd suggest that you might want to add a magnet, since this removes stuff the filters won't catch. I wrote this up in a thread a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20917&p=148710

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

A set of long, angled needle-nose helps in getting the lower clips off and especially back on again. $10 at Autozone http://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers ... 14140_0_0/

Getting the spring compressed while slipping the retaining clip back on was nightmarish. The spring is strong and pops about 6 feet in the air if it slips. I ended up putting a washer on top of the spring to make it easier to compress without the pliers slipping. If anyone knows a trick for that I'd like to know it for the next time!

Then there is this rubber washer-grommet-thingy that was under the reservoir. It fits around the protrusion on the bottom of the reservoir between it and the metal it rests on. Not shown in any of the diagrams I've seen. Mine disintegrated like a vampire as soon as it saw daylight. Shown next to the nut for size:
reservoir-grommet.jpg
reservoir-grommet.jpg (41.78 KiB) Viewed 8452 times
1985 635CSi
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

Brucey wrote:In fact on my car I've rid myself of the upper clip (#6) too; instead of that I have made a spacer tube such that when the cap parts (#3, #4) are fitted, they hold the other parts in the correct position.
Do you recall what length you cut the tube to to get the right tension? That sounds like a great improvement!
1985 635CSi
slofut

Post by slofut »

Good thread everybody! I need to replace a couple hoses also and this info is very handy. Help others down the road too!
Thanks
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
Caribe Turf

Post by Caribe Turf »