Opinions needed- e-bay suspension kits

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

87Shark

Opinions needed- e-bay suspension kits

Post by 87Shark »

Long story short. I need to replace my front suspension, due to age and wear. I see that a few people/companies on e bay offer a ' complete' front suspension kit and wondered if anyone here has ever bought and /or used one? Or , as another open question, who, if anyone, offers a suspension rebuild kit? Its an 87 L6, sitting at stock height, which is how I want to keep it. I'm not even sure of what I would need to order if I tried to get it piece by piece! ](*,) Ideas and opinions always welcome. Thanks in advance!
'87 L6, Arctic White
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions needed- e-bay suspension kits

Post by Da_Hose »

The ebay kits are not good quality. You put one on when you are trying to sell. It will die within a year or two.

Loemforder is the go-to brand, with Febi and Meyle being the lesser (acceptable) alternatives. A front end rebuild will at least replace the upper control arm bushing, lower control arm bushing, sway bar bushings (at the clamps connecting to body) and any rattling/loose ball ends. If you just buy new control arms, they come with fresh ball joints. If yours have good ball joints with shot bushings, you can just buy new HD bushings and press them in yourself. Supposing you have the tools/skills to do the job, of course.

Look for parts at http://www.pelicanparts.com or fcpeuro.com. I really like fcpeuro, because they offer lifetime warranties on all their parts. You just can't beat that if you are keeping the car long term.

Also, do a search on the site. Control arm bushing replacement is a very well documented and frequently asked topic.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

I've found by printing out the front, rear suspension and the steering diagrams from realoem very helpful in determining the components necessary. I marked up the drawings indicating the components I thought I required, sent it to various supplies for confirmation and prices. Wound up sourcing from FCP and Husker. All components supplied were correct.
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Get individual components piece meal and you can get quality parts for less cost. You have to do some research looking on realOEM for part numbers, and then some homework looking at autohausaz, pelicanparts, fcp eurp, rockauto, blunttech and others for the best pricing. Stay away from URO parts, and go for Meyle if possible.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Yuros

Post by Yuros »

Was about to order one of these E-bay kits until I read this. As good as it sounds to get a complete kit for $300, I think going piece by piece with OEM will be cheaper in the long run.
1987_ 635CSi_5 spd