Front end overhaul (susp & brakes)

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BamaE24

Front end overhaul (susp & brakes)

Post by BamaE24 »

First thing on the list is replacing the worn struts and control arms up front. I've got everything ready to install, going to use bilstein HD struts.
Next thing to order before I tear into the front end is brake components. I'm going to revamp everything on the hub minus the physical calipers themselves, just replacing bushings the in those.
Any specific suggestions for stock replacement parts I should look at? Any worthwhile upgrades I can make down there while its all torn apart? Anything that isn't a caliper/mc swap? Or is that going to be my only choice for upgrade?

Edit: Not to go off of the beaten path, but speaking of suspension, where are some reliable affordable places to sources factory rear springs to swap in the rear? Next susp/brake task on the list.
BamaE24

Re: Front end overhaul (susp & brakes)

Post by BamaE24 »

Looking at the parts for a caliper swap (just ideas/pricing) I've ran across "Centric" brand remanufactured 750 & 540i calipers for a lot cheaper than the usuals. Anyone have experience with Centric stuff? Good to go or steer clear?
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Ok, so hash everything so far. I really only need to re-vamp my front brakes, but I am looking at replacing all four sides since everything but the pads is super old. With that, I am looking at approximately $461 to completely upgrade all 4 corners with the (reman/new) e32/e34 parts. It's approximately $376 to replace all 4 corners with the (reman/new) e24 parts. All the parts work still so I'll have for spares/trades.
So my question is, for those who have upgraded is it worth the extra $ to get the upgrade over stock?

I've got all my front end (and some rear) suspension stuff ready to install. Bilstein HD struts, Boge strut bearings, lemforder lower control arms, moog uppers, moog swaybar links, and OEM swaybar bushings. OEM subframe bushings, new trailing arm bushings as well. Just figuring out the brakes before tearing in to things.
I may just be rambling on about a dead subject though.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I think your step-by-step planning and parts purchase shows you'll be able to complete the work.

The disk brakes are pretty straightforward if you've even worked on discs before. There are plenty of how-to videos on YouTube on replacing disc brake pads and rotors.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

The brakes will be no issue once I pick the subject apart for a while and finally decide what route to go for parts. The front suspension may be a bit of a challenge, but I've got a mechanic to send it to. The biggest factor for me is cost effectiveness of what I use. I figure replacing the used but working parts on it would give me better odds at another 27yrs on the road, and have working used spares.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you are doing all that you may as well look at the front wheel bearings; these can start to break up at extended mileage.

Similarly the ABS tone rings ought to be checked out and replaced if they are looking bad, along with the ABS sensors.

The idler arm, centre link, and track rods are all wear parts, and if you are looking at those you may as well do a permanent fix on the steering box mountings too.

The springs perhaps ought to be changed (or at least dye-pen checked and refinished) if you are doing everything else.

Choice of upper TCA bushings is important; stock E24 ones are not ideal because they are soft (softer than many other options) so are good for comfort but tend to fail rather often.

Upgraded brakes can work better but are also larger and heavier. You can't fit all OEM E24 wheels over upgraded brakes. You can use the original MC with the E32 calipers but the pedal travel will be longer and will only be properly firm if you also fit new (pref braided or best quality rubber) hoses too. You may need to modify or change the disc shield if you fit larger discs.

The OEM brakes allow all wheel sizes to be fitted and actually work pretty well if you fit decent pads in the system and it is all in good shape.

Regardless of caliper type I think it is a good idea to fit stainless steel bleed screws.

FWIW I would suggest that swapping the suspension parts and swapping the brake parts are two separate issues, and could be deal with separately if you wanted to do that. In fact it might make best sense to do it that way; the disc and the caliper come off the upright very easily so there is little or no redundant effort. I think you could do the suspension work in a day, and then at a later date spend another day on the brakes once you have made your mind up what you are doing.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Definitely going to do it in a couple of stages. It would be an unorganized mess for me to do everything at once :mrgreen:

I haven't noticed any play or odd noises from the hubs and bearings, but I will definitely check in to them now that you mention it.
My ABS system has pooped, so I have it unplugged and have driven accordingly. I should be good to run without it, provided I don't forget and slam on the pedal.
I haven't thought to even test the springs, I'll have to check that as well. Whats the average lifespan for them?
I know the stock upper control arm bushings won't last me long, this'll be the 2nd set in 5yrs I've had my 6er, but at $20 ea and a couple beers and no problem \:D/

My steering system was rebuilt 3 years ago, new everything from the pump to the wheels. I went in and did the updated steering box mount as well (found out it was broken during a sweeping off ramp exit from the highway, warning: it will pucker your rear end). I will check in on it and keep fingers crossed that all is well.

During my idle time at work this evening, I've managed to assemble a parts list to just rebuild my current brakes. It'll run me $217 shipped, for everything except new caliper shells & pistons. After deliberating on it, I figured the simplest easy way is just a good "tune up".
I really appreciate the input and hope to learn much much more from the e24 masterminds here.

Edit: Not related to the brakes or front susp, but I have a question that fits in suspension category. For later down the road.
Looking at the rear axle on realoem, part #12 is listed as the pitman arm, I have always called them trailing arm links. But I have noticed for sale on rockauto.com a "rear toe link"that looks very much like the "trailing arm link" or "pitman arm". Is it going to be the same thing with a different name?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

re springs; the life is a combination of conditions of use and some pot luck; some springs fail because there are flaws in the material. FWIW I think that post 6/87 cars have springs that are more prone to breaking than earlier cars; they made the springs lighter in weight (in thinner gauge material with fewer turns) at this time, and the stresses in the steel are greater.

Re the pitman arms; I suspect they ought to be the right things if only because there isn't anything else on an E24 which you might describe that way. Ask the vendors which BMW PNs they replace? Presumably if you buy them and they are the wrong thing they could go back?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Brucey wrote:re springs; the life is a combination of conditions of use and some pot luck; some springs fail because there are flaws in the material. FWIW I think that post 6/87 cars have springs that are more prone to breaking than earlier cars; they made the springs lighter in weight (in thinner gauge material with fewer turns) at this time, and the stresses in the steel are greater.

Re the pitman arms; I suspect they ought to be the right things if only because there isn't anything else on an E24 which you might describe that way. Ask the vendors which BMW PNs they replace? Presumably if you buy them and they are the wrong thing they could go back?

cheers
Good to know on the springs, I'm definitely going to give them a thorough lookover when I have it apart.
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Ok, changing course again. After checking in on the front hubs, the passenger side has more play than the drivers side. It may be from wear, or from the great caliper blowout I had experienced previously on that side (idk how what happened, happened, but it did). Anyways, I am going to go ahead and order new hubs to install to be safe, along with the brakes, and suspension parts.
The brake parts and upper control arms should be here end of August sometime, I have the rest of the front susp parts already, the hubs same timeframe. Once it all arrives, we'll be at the mechanic for a few days and then ready to drive around daily...eh...safely... woohoo!

I had thought the hubs were ok, but after stopping at the mechanic and having him check them, he figured its time to change them. Its not much more for a fresh pair and no worries :-)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Who's going to do the work? Curious how you found a mechanic around Atmore, Alabama that would tackle it. :-k
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

hornhospital wrote:Who's going to do the work? Curious how you found a mechanic around Atmore, Alabama that would tackle it. :-k
Ok, sounds complicated but I'll explain the best I can. My wife's, brother's, dad, does that make sense? Owns/lives at/works out of, his own garage in Flomaton.
He works on newer cars, older cars, fixes up old muscle cars, and does good work on our cars. I trust him to do good work on the coupe. Just bring him the parts and $ for labor, I get to watch and help where I can, and learn.
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

So its been a bit since I've updated on this. Most my parts are here. Holding out on the wheel hubs until I can get the ones I want and then we'll be moving ahead. Anyways, figured I would share an unexpected turn in my plan. Brucey had mentioned checking the springs while wrenching. I've done one better. It threw a wrench in the gears, but I've got not 2....but 4 springs and some hardware for the coupe. Not planned, but too good a deal to pass up on, the hubs can wait. The Glock knife wasn't part of the package, it's the handy "open everything that needs opening tool" lol.
So...here is an update for now :D