Front and rear track width?

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

carlb

Front and rear track width?

Post by carlb »

What's the front and rear track width of the e24? I'm experimenting with some ideas for redoing the suspension but it's hard to find some basic facts. I don't have direct access to my M635csi at the moment. Also, if you happen to know the front inner frame rail distance, it would be useful info.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Front and rear track width?

Post by olympia57 »

Google is your best friend and will tell you anything ..........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_6_Series_(E24)
1981 635 series 1
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

carlb wrote: Also, if you happen to know the front inner frame rail distance, it would be useful info.
you mean the gap between the main rails? I'm sure that someone can measure that for you.

BTW series 1 and 2 cars are slightly different, IIRC but the front track is less than the rear track when the same wheels are fitted all round; with staggered fitments this is often exacerbated.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
carlb

Post by carlb »

olympia57 wrote:Google is your best friend and will tell you anything ..........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_6_Series_(E24)
Thanks! I did do a search and couldn't find both. I'm appropriately chastened that it was found in the commonest of places -- Wikipedia
Brucey wrote:you mean the gap between the main rails? I'm sure that someone can measure that for you.

BTW series 1 and 2 cars are slightly different, IIRC but the front track is less than the rear track when the same wheels are fitted all round; with staggered fitments this is often exacerbated.

cheers
Yes. I'm hopeful that I can get a solid measurement of the front frame rails. Might be difficult to do with the engine in. Thank you.