Suspension overhaul

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

635gav

Suspension overhaul

Post by 635gav »

I anticipate potential eye rolling as it is a well covered topic, I apologise in advance if I provoke that reaction! That said there are lots of articles, which I have looked through, with varying information and I just want to clarify a couple of points. My suspension is original and the car wallows badly. I have decided on Bilstein B6s and H&R 30mm lowering springs as Eibach springs are NLA.

Aside from the shocks and springs I am unsure whether or not I need bump stops, there was suggestion they're internal on the Bilstein's???

I was going to order top mounts and drop links as well as the shocks and springs. Previous MoT's haven't given any indication of any components that have any play etc. With that in mind, and that I don't have the budget to replace all bushes, ARB's and the whole lot at once, is there anything else anyone would recommend changing now for any reason. TIA
Last edited by 635gav on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kos

Re: Suspension overhaul

Post by kos »

I'd have a thorough inspection done to see what if any bushes may need looking at

Other than that you've covered everything.

On a side note,the fritz springs are apparently a copy of the the eibachs
635gav

Post by 635gav »

Thanks Kos, although i'm very pleased with the full Fritz exhaust system, I'm unsure about the springs. I think it would be hard to copy a spring in respect of rebound and ride. Maybe I'm being silly but most people have the H&Rs and they seem very happy with them.

You're right in that I should definitely get the car inspected and I didn't mean for people to guess what might be worn. I didn't know if it was good practise in anyones experience replace any particular components whilst doing the shocks and springs other than top mounts, drop links and bump stops(if they're needed).

See you at the Ace Cafe tomorrow. Cheers
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Forgive my being nosey, and feel free to tell me to **** off if you see fit, but is there something going on at the Ace Cafe tomorrow that is of interest and open to E24 enthusiasts????
E24 M635CSi
635gav

Post by 635gav »

Haha of course not! There's a pre '95 BMW event that was organised through Facebook, 6pm onwards. I believe a final list of cars for the car park has been submitted for the stewards but as I saw advised by the organiser to someone else there may well be a few spaces left, and they might let you in to the car park. The list is predominantly e30's but a handful of us 6's to represent, and a few others. Should be good and it'd be nice to meet you if you're free. Cheers
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Only the fronts have internal bump stops, not the rears.

I have Vogtland springs and I love them.

http://www.vogtland-na.com/en/sport_springs.php
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
kos

Post by kos »

635gav wrote:Thanks Kos, although i'm very pleased with the full Fritz exhaust system, I'm unsure about the springs. I think it would be hard to copy a spring in respect of rebound and ride. Maybe I'm being silly but most people have the H&Rs and they seem very happy with them.

You're right in that I should definitely get the car inspected and I didn't mean for people to guess what might be worn. I didn't know if it was good practise in anyones experience replace any particular components whilst doing the shocks and springs other than top mounts, drop links and bump stops(if they're needed).

See you at the Ace Cafe tomorrow. Cheers
well as you probably noticed, i didn't make the Ace. Meetings at work meant i had to work late. fucking iPad bans is a shambles

Kevin Bird recently fitted some fritz springs to a car, i'll give him a shout to see what he thought of them
635gav

Post by 635gav »

Thanks 86_6series that's good to know. I'll give the Vogtlands some thought.

Sorry to hear you got held up at work Kos, was wondering where you got to! It'd be interesting to know Kevin's opinion on those springs, if anyone knows a spring it's him!
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi 635gav,

I have a 1986 635csi which over the years has had a lot of money spent on every area of the the car over the 31 years of its life. The car always sails through mot's. after noticing some corrotion around the base of my fuel filler neck. I decided to remove the tank and have it refurbished. While the tank was away I could see it gave me alot of room to inspect the rear suspension. It was quickly apparent the rear subframe bushes needed replacing. Then when i removed the shocks the rear passenger side was shot. So in the end i have changed all the rear bushings, rear brake lines and fuel lines. Lets face it what last 31 years ,not much. Better to be safe than sorry ,especially where your brakes are concerned.
Once I've rebuilt the rear I'm going to start on the front, a word of warning though. If you have a garage with plenty of room to work on your car you should be fine. But if your like me with just a small garage and a drive make sure you don't start any work the will leave you exposed to the british cold damp winters. Good luck
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.