Bump steer spacers

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bump steer spacers

Post by bpoliakoff »

Testing the water with this. When a car is lowered the steering geometry is affected. So bump steer spacers are used to get it back to where it was or closer by spacing the tie rod levers from the strut. What I have gleaned from reading the write ups on this is, the spacer should be close to the amount of drop.The only spacers available are 1/2" in thickness, and if a thicker spacer is needed multiple sets have to be bought, They sell uniformly for $120 a set. I am thinking of making these in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" thicknesses. I will sell them at $115 with a larger selection of thicknesses.. I know these will fit E3 and E12 and possibly E9 and 2002. My belief is the E9 should have the same bolt spacing where the steering lever bolts on to the strut
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bump steer spacers

Post by bpoliakoff »

I need 6 people to step up due to material cost and set up cost. Even a combo from various forums is good as all I care about is 6 people in.

I am only doing this fpr the pre 82 E12 chassied cars.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I made a custom set for my M6. Love having them on there. I keep thinking of shortening them to get some extra negative camber, but the car drives excellent and the tires wear nice and even. If you have been thinking about getting some, jump in on Bert's group run. I absolutely recommend installing them, but replace your strut top bushings before measuring your car for the custom drop. Old bushings can have an extra 1/2" of sag, compared to new ones.

Jose
Last edited by Da_Hose on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
1987 M6 - My dream car
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

It's not Brucey, it's Bert, and they're for the E12-based 6-series cars - not for the E24's. Otherwise, I could use a set, too.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

If enough guys to step up, I will do the E28 type. It will take me a month to get them done.