Brake Identification

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gte619n

Brake Identification

Post by gte619n »

Hey guys,

So the previous owner has "upgraded" the brakes on the car. They work really well and I like the setup overall, but he didn't provide any documentation about the brakes themselves. They're beginning to squeak a bit and I'd like to change the pads. I was hoping someone might recognize the calipers and be able to let me know what I've got.

The only clue I have are the PORSCHE lettering and that they require a 17" wheel to clear. I only had a second to snap some photos while the guys were throwing on new tires, but if there's another place to look for clues I'd love to know!

Front Caliper
Rear Caliper
Pads
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2
dwcains

Re: Brake Identification

Post by dwcains »

Nice - see if this thread offers any useful info:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=100050
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Thank you sir! I think that's close, but isn't quite it. I'm pretty sure it's a Porsche caliper though. I'm going to measure everything and see if the rennlist boys can figure it out. Looking at the mounting, it seem like it's right on the factory points... no adapter or anything.
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

They may be Boxster calipers. I'm sure more than one of the Porsche guys will know.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

they do look like boxster calipers, but you can't tell for sure from the pictures; the outside face of the caliper isn't the interesting bit.

These calipers are what is known as a 'radial mount' type, i.e. they have two radial bolts that hold the caliper on. They don't fit to anything that has a conventional mount unless an adaptor of some kind is used. For example this is a Boxster caliper mounted to a VW golf/jetta upright, the adaptor is the silver bit.

from here

https://www.bolt-action.nl/product/vw-m ... kit-280mm/

You must have adaptor brackets in there of some kind; they might even be ones meant for a VW since some of those cars would have used ATE calipers back in the day and they only used a few bolt patterns.

It is easy enough to compare pad backings, and get a pad that 'fits' but do be aware that if the disc thickness is not 'standard' for that caliper, you may find that the OEM pads don't fit quite properly. Also be aware that various pad compounds will be available and not all of them will suit an E24 if the 'donor vehicle' uses different disc sizes and/or has a different weight distribution.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

gte619n wrote:Thank you sir! I think that's close, but isn't quite it. I'm pretty sure it's a Porsche caliper though. I'm going to measure everything and see if the rennlist boys can figure it out. Looking at the mounting, it seem like it's right on the factory points... no adapter or anything.
Brucey has it right, and if you look behind the caliper you'll see these highlighted bolts hold the caliper to that adapter:

The original calipers mount with two bolts parallel to the axle, and you'll see those on the other end of the adapter.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z