87 M6 Steering issue, I've searched and looked diagnosed. Stumped!

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

imissedtheapex

87 M6 Steering issue, I've searched and looked diagnosed. Stumped!

Post by imissedtheapex »

Hi guys,

So the steering wheel has a pretty good dead spot in the center (which we know is typical) and has a minor clicking sound in the shaft. When turning at highway speeds, the car will turn in, then wander slightly to the outside of the turn and will require another steering input. (so if you're turning left, the car will set then pull to slightly to the RIGHT, and you'll have to tuck the wheel in to the left a little more). The car tracks straight in a straight line.

I have checked the following and found no issues:
Steering Box bracket - the U bracket is tight and shows no cracks (I didn't check the nut and bolt, just now realizing smh) It has not been upgraded to the MWrench bushing or anything like that. Original stuff.
The U joints for the steering sheaft to box union are tight.
inner and outer tie rods are tight, no play in the ball joints.
Thrust arms, the rubber in the bushings look good and no play (a little rust on the metal part of the bush)
Lower control arms - no play in the ball joints, rubber bushings look good.
Only tears are in the rubber boots for the sway bar end links.
Sway bar connections are good, and the bushings to the body are good.
Clicking sound comes directly from the actual steering column OR the little shaft sticking out of the steering box into the bottom of the U joint. Not sure, and even then I can't prove that the clicking and play are actually directly related to the deviation in the car's path during driving.

Recently replaced the dog bones in the rear suspension as the old ones were squeaking and I'd researched that those going bad cause the errant directional issues that I've been seeing.

So gurus, what am I missing here? This car is new to me, so I'm still learning a lot about it, and sixes in general.

Thanks for any help!
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 87 M6 Steering issue, I've searched and looked diagnosed. Stumped!

Post by hornhospital »

Tighten that bolt and I think you'll be amazed. The clicking will be gone and the car will quit fighting you after turn-in. At least that's my guess. It worked for my 633. Same symptoms. The bolt wasn't a LOT loose, but it doesn't take much.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

There is a collar nut that secures the splined section of the shaft in the engine bay to the rest of the column. It's inside the car, obvious once lower panel removed. 32mm spanner required.

A prime candidate!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
imissedtheapex

Post by imissedtheapex »

wattsmonkey wrote:There is a collar nut that secures the splined section of the shaft in the engine bay to the rest of the column. It's inside the car, obvious once lower panel removed. 32mm spanner required.

A prime candidate!

would this be part of the reason the car wanders during turns?
603racing

Post by 603racing »

No, but it can get loose there and cause clunking, thunking, and clicking.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering box. You'll see the steering shaft into the box move, make sure the output is moving as well. I'm guessing you will see that the shaft moves a bit and nothing else does, which would indicate the issue is your steering box.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ