Rear Suspension Rattle

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Rear Suspension Rattle

Post by sideshowbob »

Car is a 1988 635 CSi. Drives really well but have started to notice a rattle / knock coming from the rear suspension.

I feel as though it is centred around the parcel shelf area and am now wondering if the rear shock mountings which are situated on top of the wheel arches and under the parcel shelf need replacing.

I have looked on RealOem and was wondering what parts do I need to replace and how difficult would this job be for a reasonably competent amateur mechanic.

I have had the car for about 10 years and had no problems with annual MOT's.

Have replaced bushes in the trailing arms, so was wondering what else it could be other than these 'top mounts'

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear Suspension Rattle

Post by olympia57 »

1981 635 series 1
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Thanks ... will check
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if the rattle sounds a little like a snare drum roll over ripples and stutter bumps it is almost certainly the top mounts, with an outside chance that the lower mounts are bad (rare).

Clonking going on and off the throttle is more likely to be subframe mounts.

Don't ignore the possibility that the exhaust is hitting the subframe!

The rear struts come out in one piece ; a big bolt at the bottom, and three M8 nuts at the top. Then use spring compressors to remove the springs and top mounts. It is a lot easier to remove the main shaft nuts if you have an impact wrench (pref pneumatic).

BTW some folk strap the rear springs when compressed, so that the lower bolts come out easily with the suspension at normal ride height; they are at the wrong angle otherwise, when the suspension is on full droop.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~