M6 SLS Switch Emergency

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

M6 SLS Switch Emergency

Post by MSGGrunt »

My SLS on my 1987 M6 is inoperable. The pressure switch, Part # 61-31-1-364-116 is leaking and I need a replacement. Has anyone eliminated their SLS for other reasons and has one of these switches that they would like to sell? It should go without saying that it should not leak. Mine is leaking around where the plastic electrical connector portion meets the metal sensor body. I guess this is also a common failure on the oil pressure switch on the back of the motor.

It is the 115 bar switch. See attached picture.

And no, I don't want to eliminate the system.
Attachments
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG (175.99 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
MSGGrunt

Re: M6 SLS Switch Emergency

Post by MSGGrunt »

Not available through BMW and every Vender I have called, BAV Auto, ECS Tuning, etc does not have this switch available. Is one originally $99.00 switch that is no longer available going to FORCE me to replace the entire SLS system. Really BMW???
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Its a very long shot, but another owner on another site found that his transmission electrical connector was leaking around the pins and not around the o-ring. His solution was to embed the pins from the back side in epoxy after thoroughly cleaning everything. I think the post was on bimmerforums either under E32 or E38 models.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I was actually wondering if something along this line would work. Clean it really, really well and see if the epoxy solution works. I have nothing to lose. I actually filed a complaint with BMW NA that because of one $99.00 NLA switch that a classic car such as the M6, M5 and the 750iL would be rendered non driveable with the only true fix to remove the entire SLS system and replace it with traditional coils and shocks.

I will search Bimmerforums. Any thoughts on what kind of epoxy to use? I have seen electrical relays designed specifically for marine applications that are sealed in a very tough looking epoxy. Maybe a search for something marine grade though it will also have to be resistant to petroleum.
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

This is what I found. I asked if he could tell me the name of the epoxy used.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... ight=epoxy
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

The sensor is off. I used brake cleaner to try and get all of the hydraulic fluid cleaned off/out but, making sure it is all removed from between the plastic and the metal sensor body where it is leaking past will be difficult. I will clean it multiple times and hope that I get all of it so there will be a good bond. Spray with brake cleaner, let drain, repeat. I will document this with plenty of pictures and if successful I hope this will help others.

More to follow.