M6 Value with SLS vs Without/Converted

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

M6 Value with SLS vs Without/Converted

Post by MSGGrunt »

The time has come to sell my 87 M6 and I am looking for advice on the value of it with the original, functioning self-leveling suspension vs if I replaced it with all OEM BMW parts and Bilstein shocks. I would place more value on a car with it in place and 100% original but, I see many of the M6s that do come up for sale with the system already converted.

I personally like the idea of it being all original but, is there more value in the eye of a perspective new owner that the SLS has already been converted?

With the SLS present would a new owner shy away from this car because of the "potential" issues with the SLS as the car ages?
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M6 Value with SLS vs Without/Converted

Post by Da_Hose »

I think that M6 buyers fall into two general categories.

Drivers - Don't worry about 100% originality. They won't pay $80k+ for a car they can't put miles on. They may even use it as a daily at times,so they won't freak out about modifications to make the car easier to live with.

Purist collectors - The car is an investment, so it's all about originality. These are the people who buy at Amelia island, but they won't buy anything with real miles on it (like 10K+).

So if you don't have a low mile garage queen that is showroom ready, SLS isn't critical. If you have a car with miles that still has functional SLS, I don't think it would put off a "driver". They like doing little things to make the car theirs anyway.

José
1987 M6 - My dream car
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

That makes sense... Though I feel my "M" is a very nice example, it is not a 50,000 mile, concourse car but rather a nice clean driver. Maybe in 20 or 30 years miles on these won't matter when they receive a nut and bolt restoration but, for now it seems the SLS removal won't hurt the cars value. I will be smart enough to box up and keep all the original parts for any future purist.
DC

Post by DC »

I was looking at your sixer and It is in very nice condition and if SLS works fine there is no need to convert - or it is making problems so far?

I´d like to buy the car if it was in Europe, but it isn´t :cry:
M6 - Marwin
628CSi Turbo - Britney
BMW-Faszination aus Technik und Design
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

The SLS is giving me issues and I have already ordered all of the pieces from my local dealership to convert it over to standard shocks and springs with the addition of Bilstein HD shocks. I will hang onto all of the SLS for a future owner.
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

If it is fully functional, I'd keep it. If you were to sell it, I'd want all the parts to put it back together. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
1987 M6, 1998 Dinan SC MZ3 Roadster