Brake calipers question

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BMWFanatic2008

Brake calipers question

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

Hey guys,

My driver's side rear brake caliper started leaking brake fluid. I took the car to a local mechanic and he recommended replacing it. He isn't sure if it can be rebuilt due to its age/rust.

I looked up the part number and it's 34211119211 (my car was built before 9/82). Any idea where I can purchase a rebuilt one? The new ones are expensive, around $300.

Also, do you think I can fit one from 82+ model (will replace both sides in this case)? I found plenty of those available at a reasonably price.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Brake calipers question

Post by Brucey »

the later caliper won't fit over your disc. There are parts bin options for converting both disc and caliper to a different spec but I would suggest that you stick with the standard (E12 chassis) fitment if you can.

IIRC the calipers use a piston size and seal/boot design that is common to other calipers so you ought to be able to get the caliper rebuilt or exchanged without having to buy a new one.

A seal kit is likely to be just a few quid if you fancy DIY and here in the UK companies like Bigg Red offer exchange rebuilt calipers at reasonable cost.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BMWFanatic2008

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

Brucey wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm the later caliper won't fit over your disc. There are parts bin options for converting both disc and caliper to a different spec but I would suggest that you stick with the standard (E12 chassis) fitment if you can.

IIRC the calipers use a piston size and seal/boot design that is common to other calipers so you ought to be able to get the caliper rebuilt or exchanged without having to buy a new one.

A seal kit is likely to be just a few quid if you fancy DIY and here in the UK companies like Bigg Red offer exchange rebuilt calipers at reasonable cost.

cheers
I see, thanks for the info. I will keep looking for a refurb. one then.
BMWFanatic2008

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

Ended up rebuilding the rear brakes myself. The pistons were completely seized on one of the brakes so only one side was working. Will be doing the fronts next. Took a bit of time to find the correct replacement parts for e12 based brakes but the result was well worth it :D

Here is what I had to buy:
Brake caliper repair kits
Brake pads
Brake wear sensors
Pins and brackets
Paint

Big thanks to this forum (found a couple of very useful DIYs on here).
Attachments
IMG_9173.jpg
IMG_9173.jpg (729.93 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
IMG_9172.jpg
IMG_9172.jpg (709.54 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
IMG_9081.jpg
IMG_9081.jpg (523.12 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
IMG_9078.jpg
IMG_9078.jpg (534.37 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

looks good!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BMWFanatic2008

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

Hey guys,

I have a follow-up question re: brakes. I am looking to purchase a brake lines kit for my car. I found a few listings on ebay for APEX kits. Do e24s based on e12 chassis and the ones based on e28 chassis share the same brake lines? The ebay seller is offering the same kit for all 633 model years (78-84). I know the brake calipers are different so wanted to make sure. I have pre-82 production 633.

Anything else I should consider / purchase for this job?

Thanks.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

That doesn't sound right, fanatic [-X

The E12 front brakes are 4 piston fixed calipers, but the E28 does not =;

Dang, thought you could see the 2X lines going to the caliper in this photo, but you can see the 2 rigid/fixed pipes :roll:

Think I would continue your search :-({|=
Attachments
Front Brakes-sm.jpg
Front Brakes-sm.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
BMWFanatic2008

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

GRNSHRK wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 pm The E12 front brakes are 4 piston fixed calipers, but the E28 does not =;
Hi GRNSHRK,

So E28 based front brakes have only 2 pistons? The kit comes with 6 lines according to their description. I assume that's a good indicator that it's for E12 based car?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

I think the E28 calipers (front and rear) are only single piston floating type :-?

But looking at your rebuild photos of the rear, I can now see that those are indeed E12 calipers, which are actually 2 piston fixed type =D>

Bottom line, the correct kit should have a total of 6 lines for the E12 chassis [-o<

It's possible that this seller throws in enough for both E12 and E28 chassis, but I have no idea if the fittings are the same, lengths are compatible, etc. :-?

BTW, nice rebuild job in your photos \:D/

Here's a shot of mine #-o
Attachments
Rear Brakes.jpg
Rear Brakes.jpg (607.53 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
Bobbo
BMWFanatic2008

Post by BMWFanatic2008 »

GRNSHRK wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm I think the E28 calipers (front and rear) are only single piston floating type :-?

But looking at your rebuild photos of the rear, I can now see that those are indeed E12 calipers, which are actually 2 piston fixed type =D>

Bottom line, the correct kit should have a total of 6 lines for the E12 chassis [-o<

It's possible that this seller throws in enough for both E12 and E28 chassis, but I have no idea if the fittings are the same, lengths are compatible, etc. :-?

BTW, nice rebuild job in your photos \:D/

Here's a shot of mine #-o
I see, thanks for the info. I think I will take a chance and risk $60 and if it doesn't fit, I will return it. A few other kits that I saw are a lot more expensive.

Very nice setup you got! Hopefully mine will look the same at some point in the near future.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

The caliper paint has held up very well, can't say the same for the rotors, which of course have rusted where the pads do not contact them :oops:

Good luck with your project, please post pix when she's complete [-o<
Bobbo