e28 lowering springs on e24

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

SORIANOTRON

e28 lowering springs on e24

Post by SORIANOTRON »

Hey guys,

Im fairly certain e28 suspension parts are interchangeable with our e24's, so I wanted to know if this applies for aftermarket lowering springs as well?

I know H&R and Vogtland springs are both for e24 and e28

Specifically wondering if these would fit as well, and if the spring rate would effect the listed height?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E28-5-SERI ... gd&vxp=mtr

Thanks!
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: e28 lowering springs on e24

Post by Brucey »

both E24 and E28 models vary in ride height (with the same springs fitted) depending on the spec of the car. BMW produced many different springs to cover every eventuality (I prepared a list of these parts in another thread). In addition the axle loadings for a mechanically similar E28 are different to an E24. Specifically the E24 is liable to be heavier at the front and the E28 is likely to be a little bit heavier at the back (relatively).

This usually means that if considering E28 springs you need to take an educated guess at the front ride height and be prepared to adjust the rear ride height to suit, eg using the adjustable perches on bilstein shocks.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

I have Vogtland so they get my vote hands down.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

BTW a gentle reminder; OEM BMW front springs have an integer number of turns, and for a very good reason; the angled top hats only work correctly if they are in one orientation, and that orientation is only possible if the spring has an integer number of turns in it.

Last time I checked most (at least 90% IIRC) of aftermarket front springs had 5-1/2 turns or 6-1/2 turns in them. This means that with the standard top hats the angle error is doubled vs even the use of E90 tops hats, which is bad enough.

This to my mind condemns such aftermarket springs as being 'laughable half-baked shite' and IMHO they are not to be touched with a barge pole. Caveat emptor.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I swapped my eibach shocks and springs from my e28 to my e24 with no issues. I think the rear sits a little higher on the E24 with the exact same springs... both were US spec cars also.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
SORIANOTRON

Post by SORIANOTRON »

Thanks for the input guys, ended up finding some B&G's for the e24/28 online....

The rear does indeed sit higher than the front

Im thinking about going with some Billy B8's to even it out

anyone have a set?