Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Replacement half shafts

Post by jps635 »

Researching replacement half shafts.

For some perspective BMW original parts:
- WN are running a special at the moment at 249 euro plus 100 euro for core replacement
- PP are at USD418 + $50 core charge and only showing one in the world

Living in this part of the world any option that requires a core return is not viable. Best option I have seen is GKN which appear to be complete including end caps at USD 218, and do not appear to be asking for a core charge.

Any feedback on GKN quality?

Also, reading through the old posts, did anyone ever replace the hex bolts with torx?
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
derrith

Re: Replacement half shafts

Post by derrith »

Rock auto has then for $50ish USD without endcaps. Have used for years.
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
nick88highline

Re: Replacement half shafts

Post by nick88highline »

jps635 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 pm Researching replacement half shafts.

For some perspective BMW original parts:
- WN are running a special at the moment at 249 euro plus 100 euro for core replacement
- PP are at USD418 + $50 core charge and only showing one in the world

Living in this part of the world any option that requires a core return is not viable. Best option I have seen is GKN which appear to be complete including end caps at USD 218, and do not appear to be asking for a core charge.

Any feedback on GKN quality?

Also, reading through the old posts, did anyone ever replace the hex bolts with torx?
I re-built my halfshafts (well replaced the grease and rubber bellows) using BMW sourced parts. I've heard about some cheap re-builds, but I've no idea how they can be re-built for such a low cost. I think new ones from BMW cost about £225 each.
I did replace my hex head internal wrenching bolts with torx head ones, but this was extremely expensive. I couldn't buy the bolts off the shelf and had to get them from BMW at a price that I'm simply too embarassed about to repeat here. :oops: Makes fitting them a lot easier though! =D> The other option is to use a reduced head 12pt ARP bolt which would work out cheaper.
Nick
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)