Removing Booster and Installing New AN Style Lines

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

VintageRacer

Removing Booster and Installing New AN Style Lines

Post by VintageRacer »

So I've been researching and researching and I'm trying to redo my power steering hoses to eliminate the hydroboost. It's a race car so its not needed.

Can I run an AN Style Line from the pump output directly to the box? I've been reading something about a restricter?

Thanks
Andy
VintageRacer

Re: Removing Booster and Installing New AN Style Lines

Post by VintageRacer »

i looked all over my lines and don't see a restricter so I got some AQP high pressure teflon hose and I'm going to run it.
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

VintageRacer wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm So I've been researching and researching and I'm trying to redo my power steering hoses to eliminate the hydroboost. It's a race car so its not needed.

Can I run an AN Style Line from the pump output directly to the box? I've been reading something about a restricter?

Thanks
Andy
not the high pressure one.. you can have one professionally made with AN threads (JIC 37d flares)
.1977 H&B 630CSI - http://www.sidedraftsix.com.
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

VintageRacer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 am i looked all over my lines and don't see a restricter so I got some AQP high pressure teflon hose and I'm going to run it.
wont work..
VintageRacer

Post by VintageRacer »

So why won’t Teflon AQP aeroquip hope rated for over 2500psi work? Or are you saying that running from the pump to the box won’t work?
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

well im not sure of your plans.

with my experience on the steering and the braking of these cars.
its not the hose its lots of things. you cant simply but swap this line out and call it a day, especially for a track car.. youll be pissing fluid all over. either from poor connections or out of the reservoir

its the adapters, are you swaging the ends?
its also the restrictor which is inside the hose, and the job it does to help aeration & spillover.
what about the pump, have you considered one that wasnt hydroboost?
what are your brake plans if removing the hydraulic assist ?
VintageRacer

Post by VintageRacer »

The car is a Group A FIA Clone of Chassis RA1-007 with a 450shp 4.0L S38. Rear brakes are wilwood 4 piston with 12" rotors and front are 4 Piston Wilwood NASCAR road course calipers with 13" rotors. The masters are dual tilton with a bias bar using a setup from Lee at MassiveBrakes.com that retains the stock pedal box and has either a 6:1 or 7:1 pedal ratio.

The booster is no longer needed due to the aggressive .68 mu pads (Polymatrix A compound) coupled with properly sized master cylinders.

The car is an M635csi Euro Market car. I don't see the restrictor in the lines as shown on other cars. Realoem doesn't show one for the M car either.

I have purchsed M14x1.5 Banjo fittings for the box and pump along with proper Aeroquip AQP Teflon line and fittings to run a -6AN line between the proper fittings. This is the line that aeroquip recomends for power steering applications.
VintageRacer

Post by VintageRacer »

Thought I would update this. Drove the car yesterday sans booster and all that mess. No issues running a line directly from the pump to the box. I also installed a hayden transmission cooler for a power steering cooler in the return line. And FYI there was no restrictor in the stock power steering lines. This must have been an E28 thing. Also for reference you can use a stock 1987 E28 528E power steering line if you don't want to make an AN line. I bolted that up too and it works, you need to remove the alternator to be able to get a good torque on the banjo bolt on top of the pump.

Driving it, fine, no adverse feel to the power steering, no leaks, solid. I used 1 quart of Redline ATF and since the reservoir is so big there is plenty of room for expansion when the fluid gets warm. The reservoir could easily hold another 1/2 quart. The brakes are awesome once you've got some heat in them. Cold they suck and the first few stops as I bedded the brakes I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. Then WOW!! :D The wilwood compound A pads really start coming on at 200-300C and did they ever. I need to do some more testing on the bias but so far so good. I have it setup with a 6:1 pedal ratio which gives me a bit stiffer pedal but it should be much easier to modulate on the track.

The setup uses a 1" master for the rear and 0.7" master for the front. Front calipers are 1.5 and 1.75 pistons and the rear uses 1.0" pistons. All four piston wilwoods. Compound A pads up front and H pads in the rear.

caliper.jpg
caliper.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
Attachments
masters.jpg
masters.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 5346 times