SLS height adjustment

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mark22

SLS height adjustment

Post by mark22 »

Hello to all. I have searched how to adjust the rear ride height by adjusting the articulation lever that mounts to the rear sway bar. My SLS was not working, however after replacing the relay, it came back to life(awesome). It appears to ride a bit high, however, and I would like to lower it by adjusting it.

My question is if this will damage the system. From what I have read, adjusting the level can cause significant problems and blow out the accumulators. Is the right height something that is SUPPOSED to be able to be adjusted or is it a situation where "it is what it is" and to leave it alone.

Thank you
1987 M6 pre 6/87
OnTheFritz

Re: SLS height adjustment

Post by OnTheFritz »

In my time running the SLS system lowered (I think somewhere around 2 years now), I haven't had issues with any part of the system (accumulators, dampers, pump). Given that the system should be designed to cope with the much higher pressures to counter heavy loads, I can't imagine it should be damaged by running lower than stock as long as the bump stops are in good shape.
That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind being told that it is indeed damaging to the system..
8/87 635CSi A, #3266516
mark22

Post by mark22 »

Thanks for the response. Am I correct in that is takes rotation of the level which mounts to the rear sway bar to adjust ride height: Is this something that requires a special tool or can I do this by hand? It is not self evident to me after looking at it.

Thanks again
1987 M6 pre 6/87
OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz »

The lever arm that clamps to the sway bar should be a U-shaped clamp secured by 2 10mm nuts, or at least that's how mine is set up. Loosening only one will allow you to rotate the arm to the desired position, though slight persuasion with a hammer or rubber mallet will make life easier. Just don't bang on the lever with the sensor in either of the extremes of its range, or you may bend the linkage rod or damage the sensor itself.
8/87 635CSi A, #3266516