suspension options

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rrrs

suspension options

Post by rrrs »

I am in process of total suspension overhaul and was looking at the same time to lower the car/replace the shocks; it is '85 car.

Seems that currently available options are:

H&R Bavaria springs with bilstein, both similarity priced:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E24-635CS ... /Cup_Kits/

For less money there is a Godspeed coilover kit, but really worried about actual quality of this kit:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-godspeed-pa ... s1910~god/

For some more one can get a CA Tuned coilover kit:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-catuned-par ... cae28~ctd/

Both of the above include camber adjustment plate.

Then, for another few hundred more there are Groundcontrol and H&R kits; H&R has no camber plate while GC kit has a plate for camber and caster adjustment.

https://www.cheap-coilovers.com/shop/h- ... 2911p.html

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collecti ... -not-e34-1

Would really appreciate recommendations; primary use is spirited street driving and the car is getting 745i turbo setup.
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: suspension options

Post by jps635 »

There are heaps of posts on here relating to suspension setups and the answers you'll get are very subjective depending on what you want to achieve, I've been through a number of changes to get something I'm happy with.

Generally folk and therefore opinions fall into 3 camps:
1/ More or less stock set up or a refinement thereof
2/ Generic / sports orientated lowering - which generally defaults to Bilsteins and H&R, or similar variants
3/ Hard-outs, converting to some sort of coil over set-up. Some good constructive commentary on here both for and against

So many variables.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Hi, yes, I read trough lots of those threads and got quite confused at the end.
Since I am not keeping the car 100 % original I have no problem modifying the suspension; would certainly at least like to lower the car.
So, was thinking about H&R with Bilstein, but then seen a post saying there is a problem with this setup as spring is misaligned with spring seat.....
Once I seen there are full coil over setups available for similar price I got to think that might be the best solution.
Basically, to really narrow my question, is there someone with direct experience on Godspeed coilover kit; it looks really nice on photos but it is suspiciously inexpensive to be good?
Or, anyone that has experience with CAtuned setup?
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

The springs are not misaligned. The problem is if you use a heavy duty or standard Bilstein shock, or any other shock for that matter, with a lowering spring, the rear shocks will come off their perch when jacking up the rear of the car due to the fact that the stroke of the HD shock is longer. That is why what you should be seeing is people saying to use a Bilstein sport shock with lowering springs regardless of the brand of spring. Most lowering springs will afford the same amount of drop. You do have to remember there is a difference between E12 and E28 chassis cars. That is where a fit problem shows up.
Last edited by bpoliakoff on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

Doing Bilstein B8's and H&Rs as we speak. Got the Bilsteins this summer during their sale as well as the H&Rs from when ECS? had a sale. ECS had to rear PN's and I got the wrong ones. Thankfully ECS allow for returns up to a year later so I now have the correct ones just about ready to go in.
I did not have the proper wrench and vise to extract and reinsert the front units, so dropped them off with a friendly independent and hope to have them back in a day or two.

Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

bpoliakoff wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 pm The springs are not misaligned. The problem is if you use a heavy duty or standard Bilstein shock, or any other shock for that matter, with a lowering spring, the rear shocks will come off their perch when jacking up the rear of the car due to the fact that the stroke of the HD shock is longer. That is why what you should be seeing is people saying to use a Bilstein sport shock with lowering springs regardless of the brand of spring. Most lowering springs will afford the same amount of drop. You do have to remember there is a difference between E12 and E28 chassis cars. That is where a fit problem shows up.
I suspect you mean the SPRING can come off it's perch not the STRUTS as they are hard mounted at each end.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Yes springs
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

OK, seems that H&R with Bielsten Sport would be the best of the simple, available performance suspension options.

What I was referring as misalignment came from reading Brucey's post on H&R; this is what got me worried:

Re: Coilover front and rear mandatory?
Post by Brucey » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 pm

IIRC H&R springs have two big problems;

1) (IIRC) they have 5-1/2 turns in the front springs and therefore to fit them the top hats need to be turned 180 degrees (OEM springs have a whole number of turns). Since the springs are inclined about five degrees to the upright, once turned, the top hat is then cocked about ten degrees, and is putting a weird side load on the front upright all the time; exactly what BMW were trying to avoid in fact, only twice as bad as if they had done nothing..... :roll:

2) IIRC H&R supply a single spring length for many different BMW E24 models, instead of at least four different ones as BMW supplied in most markets. They need to make the springs short enough that even cars with the lowest possible noseweight are in fact lowered. This means that If your car is heavy at the front (autobox, AC, highline or park bench bumpers, sunroof, electric seats etc, it all adds up) then the ride height can be too low.

In view of both these things then my verdict is at least 'approach with caution' if not 'avoid altogether'

cheers
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Is this something that does create a problem and, if so, any way to avoid?

As well, how does H&R lowering kit influence the wheel camber?
Coil over kits offer adjustable camber plates so his can be dialed but wondering if 1.5 inch lowering results in excessive camber or it is still in acceptable range?

Just trying to weight the pros and cons of H&R /Bielstein Sport kit vs CaTunes coilovers.

Like the simplicity and slightly lower cost from H&R kit, plus they have a good reputation for the quality.

At the other side, the CaTubed kit offers lots of adjust-ability, but needs welding, it is more expensive and can't find feedback of no-one that actually used it.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

You should also think about getting an adjustable rear camber kit for the rear as well. Not sure who currently has them (ECS, Ireland engineering, etc) but you can do a google search. Good luck with your choice.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550