Tuning an EU 82 635csi motor

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

chimi-changa

Tuning an EU 82 635csi motor

Post by chimi-changa »

Greetings!

Motor is M30B34 rebuilt and out of 1982 635csi, and has a B35 bottom end on it. Includes the aux slide valve setup, running Motronic basic with 011 ECU ( no 02 sensor), low imp injectors, 10:1 compression etc. Wiring harness has been rebuilt, injectors also. I have an extra AFM and ECU and have tried swapping both in and around to no avail. ( The AFM it seems to run better on was recently been rebuilt by Bavarian Rest in 2016.)

Build thread is here: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139703

Issues:
running hot ( 1/2 to 3/4 on the gauge) ( new radiator ( nissens), water pump, thermos, and CTS)
running rich

I have a few extra gauges showing oil temp and pressure, and just bought a PLX AFM bluetooth module to check air / fuel ratio ( installed 02 bung to run sensor) and find it running slightly rich... about 13.6 afr when warmed up ( should be 14.7)

Seems hard to find details about tuning this setup, anyone have any ideas on how to lean this motor out a little? ( have tried adjusting screw on aux air value) or ideas regarding controlling temp. Trying to get this thing to the Vintage! 8)

Many thanks in advance-

Jamie
Last edited by chimi-changa on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tuning with aux slide valve? EU 82 635csi motor

Post by bpoliakoff »

011 is wrong ecu for basic. Should be 002.My 81 M90 euro first year Motronic low imp injection is factory ecu is 002 and. I believe 011 is for Motronic 1.1 dirty motor. My engine is rebuilt and true 10:1 and also 284 cam and although I haven't driven it yet, idles and revs righteously with the 002 Does have the slide valve also is totally dirty ie: no cat or 02 sensor AFM should be an 013 I do not believe 011 is proper ECU for low impedence injectors See if you can get a response from Brucey or Klaus on this forum They may have better info then me but I am reasonably sure I am correct at least from what my car with basic has and the fact it is original
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
chimi-changa

Post by chimi-changa »

Thanks for the response and informations. You might be on to something with the ECU

The AFM that came with the motor has last three digits of 018. Its also a dirty motor with piano top pistons ( now Teflon coated). The cam might be in the low 270's- heard supposedly there was a lot of messing with different parts back then sorting out what worked well together. No one has yet to be able to help ascertain which cam might be in the motor. Sounds like would be a little hotter than standard USA M30B34.

It did not come with any ECU and somehow my research was pointing to a 011 ECU but now looking around seems like a 008 ECU or 002 ECU might be what I need. ( 011 sounds like is adaptive). Looks like if 002, my motor was built before 5/82.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I could be wrong on the AFM My car isn't here but I can call the fellow who has it if you need and verify what the AFM is 018 could be right.002 ECU are rare as well. I am waiting to drive my car to see how it will run under load. Guys told me it should handle the mods ok and one has said it will run rich. Luckily I found a box new AFM on Ebay years ago so I have room to play other wise it will be Megasquirt time which is something I am absolutely dreading. I have my fingers crossed. One thing I can tell you for sure is that 011 Ecu is absolutely the wrong ECU for basic. It is for a dirty 1.1 motor. The good news is they are worth some bucksU

Not only is there a slide valve on on basic but there is also an auxilliary air valve that allows adjustment as well Real oem doesn't show it . It bolts to the cam cover about 5" from the rear and allows air/vacuum adjustment like the needles on a carb. I had to buy a new air slide valve and could only find one from Walloth and Nesch in Germany. Sounds to me Like your injection system isn't purely one system or another and there lies your problem
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
chimi-changa

Post by chimi-changa »

So, bought what I thought was an 002 ECU. Harness connector and size looked similar to M30 one I have. When I tried to attach it, it did not wasn't to hook on at all. The first end corner has a alignment tab that goes in the center on my harness connector and it was near the end on the ECU base. Turns out the ECU is for a M10 e30 car. Part Full ECU number is 0 260 200 002

Google searching, I cant seem to find any other. Are some just made with different connector receptors depending on the motor? Anyone know if I can swap either connector or there is a different 002 ECU I should try to find? Buddy is suggesting a 061

Bert, is your ECU number the same?

Yes I also have the same aux air valve. Both new, bought from Schemiedman.

Thanks much
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tuning an EU 82 635csi motor

Post by bpoliakoff »

My car isn't with me. I just texted the fellow who has it to double check as I have 2 ECUs with him. I just checked Programma's website they show 261 200 002 as for 80 81 82 635. You might want to go there and take a look. You might also check the # of pins on that 011 ECU. Your harness could have been played with along the way. I am not sharp at all on electronics, but from what you are finding out, a lot of your management system is mis matched so maybe the harness has been played with or swapped. I do know the basic harness is totally unique. I managed to melt mine in a minor parts fire, I won't go there, and was lucky enough to find one from a same month and year car and am still thinking of getting a new one. Walloth and Nesch appear to have some.

I have been googling around searching using the 261 200 002 asking what BMW this ecu is for and E24 has come up several times. I will let you know when I hear back on the one running my car. I would have to think Programma is correct. They are $195 for a rebuilt
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

If you have piano top pistons, I think you need the 011.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
chimi-changa

Post by chimi-changa »

Yes, do have piano top pistons, 10:1 ratio
018 AFM ( which usually denotes after 9/82 production?)
201 Injectors
no 02 sensor
basic style wire harness ( but did have to be rebuilt when the engine was redone)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Tom I do not believe 011 is the correct ECU for basic FI but rather Motronic 1.1 Euros. He said he is running low impedence injectors another hint towards Motronic basic. The fact that he is running a slide valve and auxilliary air valve shows the FI to be basic. Piano top pistons have to do with the way the motor was built by him. This is not a stock motor. Also remember Motronic basic is what was run on the Euro 3.5 Motors through 82 model year and then 1.1 was introduced along with bringing the 3.5 motors to the us. 011 is the ECU used on the early dirty Euro motors IIRC and I believe 08 used in the early US models. Of course this ends up being a nightmare. On a side note, my M90, which I haven't driven yet, is run by an 002 ECu. M90s were not 10:1 as everyone believes but rather 9:4 to 1. However my engine is rebuilt with true 10:1 JE pistons and also runs a 284 cam. Although, as I said, I have not run the car under load, it idles and revs beautifully so far with the 02 ECU so I have to think that is the correct ECU as it was also the original one in my car
chimi-changa

Post by chimi-changa »

Appreciate the efforts Gents, Bert- sorry if was not clear. My motor is original, from a dirty Euro 635csi from 1982, with the original 10:1 piano top pistons, mildly hotter cam ( than US M30B34), and runs W9 plugs. It came with the 018 AFM, basic harness, aux air and slide valves setup also.

Unfortunately the wire harness had to be rebuilt with new wires, but is the exact same as it came, and it did not come with an ECU nor injectors. So my research pointed to 011 ecu and Bosch "201" injectors ( same as e28 M5 and e30 M3 etc).

Last edited by chimi-changa on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Jamie check your email I sent you my phone number. I spoke with a fellow who is the absolute definitive go to guy on Motronic systems maybe in the country and he will be happy to talk with you. I will pass his name and phone number on to you when you call me.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Correct ECU is 261 200 002 You may have the wrong fpr which should be 2.5 bar and I think you also have the wrong injectors