Auto gearbox oil cooler pipes.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Auto gearbox oil cooler pipes.

Post by ron »

WARNING TO ALL.

Arrived home from work the other night having driven 125 miles.
Nasty surprise.Nearside front wheel,spoiler and inner wing covered in oil.
Initially thought it was brake or power steering fluid.When I got it into my nice new garage and cleaned the oil off everything I discovered the leak coming from the gearbox oil cooler pipes where they run along the L/H chassis rail.Luckily it was only a pinhole (caused by rusting pipes).If it had been any bigger I could have spread the gearbox all over the M4.
Removing the pipes was a right PITA. Ordered from BMW and of course one of them has the wrong end fitting (typical) so will try them again tomorrow.

Anyway the reason for this is: HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR PIPES.
UKDaveJ

Re: Auto gearbox oil cooler pipes.

Post by UKDaveJ »

ron wrote:WARNING TO ALL.

Arrived home from work the other night having driven 125 miles.
Nasty surprise.Nearside front wheel,spoiler and inner wing covered in oil.
Initially thought it was brake or power steering fluid.When I got it into my nice new garage and cleaned the oil off everything I discovered the leak coming from the gearbox oil cooler pipes where they run along the L/H chassis rail.Luckily it was only a pinhole (caused by rusting pipes).If it had been any bigger I could have spread the gearbox all over the M4.
Removing the pipes was a right PITA. Ordered from BMW and of course one of them has the wrong end fitting (typical) so will try them again tomorrow.

Anyway the reason for this is: HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR PIPES.
Very useful info there Ron!
Hope you didn't lose too much atf there mate?
Have you checked your PM's mate? I've sent one to you ref sunroof payment etc. D

I suppose that as most of us are blokes on here, we're used to checking our pipes....! :roll: :wink: :lol:
BangkokMike '77 633 Euro

Ahh..just checked mine last Wednesday

Post by BangkokMike '77 633 Euro »

Just for peace of mind since I have had some gearbox problems for a while, and had to make sure the car had them (previous owners have been meticulous, but well, I needed to see them with my own eyes.

Hope your tranny is ok and no issues with overheating.

Bangkok Mike