Timing chain conversion 1*row -> 2*row

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

unless there is any track record of chain sideplates cracking well before they fail I would say there is no strict requirement to change the chain and sprockets.

But a chain is relatively cheap, and a new one will run nicely on unworn sprockets, so I would regard it as a false economy not to change it, but that is just me......

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hansniskatuki

Post by hansniskatuki »

Has anyone done the timing-chain-and-guide-change-without-head-removal to M88 engine? As I looked the M88 tension rail it seem to be longer than S35 two-part rail.. So is possible to fit the new rail to M88 without head removal (obviously the old one is easy to take out by sawing it)? Is there room to do this?
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

hansniskatuki wrote:Has anyone done the timing-chain-and-guide-change-without-head-removal to M88 engine? As I looked the M88 tension rail it seem to be longer than S35 two-part rail.. So is possible to fit the new rail to M88 without head removal (obviously the old one is easy to take out by sawing it)? Is there room to do this?
Yes, Nat Arnold did Crystal w/o head removal ... chain, sprockets, & guides).
You can contact him here:
http://atlantic-euro.com/default.aspx
---------------------
1985 M635 #1998 (gone but not forgotten)
1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
1985 M635 #589
winfred

Post by winfred »

i am in the middle of doing my m88 chain and all of the parts are available to do the single row but..... the exhaust gear is a mother to order, its worse then a coded key, it is blocked from the us market so you need to have a titled euro car that uses the gear, my chassis is crap and is not being used so i had to find someone to get it for me. all coolant hoses and all timing components are just under $1600 at a smoking deal but could run as much as $500 more at a crappy deal. now i gotta deal with the single valve springs :(
3/81 633 m30b35 & getrag 260/6, motronic 1.3 -sold

86 635 with nearly all goodies from rotted away 85 m635 including the m88/3, tuning in progress on motronic 3.3.1
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Winfred
I notice you have an '81633. I have an '82Euro635CSI, bought originally in Germany by a soldier in '82. Would my vin help you with your needs?
You said Euro,,,,Greg :wink:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
winfred

Post by winfred »

i already have the elusive gear in my possession. the vin needs to be to a car you own and for a car that uses the part in question, aaaaannnnndddd the car has to have the DOT crap too
GripGreg wrote:Winfred
I notice you have an '81633. I have an '82Euro635CSI, bought originally in Germany by a soldier in '82. Would my vin help you with your needs?
You said Euro,,,,Greg :wink:
3/81 633 m30b35 & getrag 260/6, motronic 1.3 -sold

86 635 with nearly all goodies from rotted away 85 m635 including the m88/3, tuning in progress on motronic 3.3.1
brickwhite

Re:

Post by brickwhite »

ray_koke wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 pm My understanding is that the factory recall specified that when the upgrade was performed, two punch marks were to be made at the front left of the head, just below the valve cover. Whether this was frequently done is anybody's guess.

GL,

Ray (driving a ticking bomb)

Ed Lyerly wrote:
Mario Langsten wrote:to see if your engine has single or double valve springs you need to pull the cam cover / valve cover
then with a bright light look under the cam box between the cams at the valve springs. There will be a coil inside the outer if there are double springs.

I use a bore scope as it allows me get inside the space the where the springs are, You might be able to do this with a small mirror as visability is not line of sight.
Hi Mario,
I asked my mechanic to pull the valve cover and check for double springs on my '85 M635. He pulled the valve cover but can't see the springs using your guide above. Could you give additional info ..... maybe a diagram that would help him with this check ?
Thanks,
Ed

Would one think my valve springs were updated... With these marks on the head?

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic