headlight washer pump - where is it?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Drew

headlight washer pump - where is it?

Post by Drew »

As the title suggests, I can't find the headlight washer pump. Some cowboy has botched the wiring for the windscreen and headlight wash/ wipe on my new acquisition and I'm attempting to restore it to factory spec.

I note from the E12 haynes that there is a seperate headlight washer pump, somehow triggered by the headlights being on, but I can't find the pump, nor the control unit.

any hints?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

H/L Wipers/Washers

Post by ron »

Hi Drew, The pump for the h/l washers is on the washer bottle.There should be two pumps and the one nearest the engine is for the h/ls.
The power for it comes from the offside h/l motor when it moves from the parked position(that motor has four wires in the plug-the nearside motor only has three wires).
The relay for the system is behind the offside front indicator inside the front wing.You have to take the indicator assembly off to get to it.
The relay also has a timer in it, so it will only work intermittently.
You have to have the headlights on as the power is linked to them.
Hope this helps. Ron.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'll have another look but there was only one pump on the washer bottle so far as I could see. I've found the wiring plug for the headlamp pump, and when connected up to the windscreen pump (the only pump I found on the washer bottle) it operates as you describe (ie intermitantly and only when the headlights are on).

So all I need is a pump to attach the wires to!!

I think someone has updated stuff in this part of the car as some of the pump's plumbing doesn't look original

thanks for the help
Drew

Post by Drew »

yup, defo got a pump missing, the good news is that electrics all work and that I have a spare VW pump lying about so I can cobble together a working system.
Very odd, it looks as thought the washer bottle is not original as it is screwed in any old how. Quite annoying