dribbling headlight washers

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Drew

dribbling headlight washers

Post by Drew »

I've finally got this sorted (electrically anyway) so that the pump for the headlights does its thang. A new pump and a bit of re-wiring. The problem now is that the four washer jet nozzles drip continuously.

This is because the head of the washer tank is above the level of the nozzles and so the water continuously siphons through the pump and out the nozzles. I've already tried rasing the pump to above the tank (its now fixed to the air filter mounts) to no avail.

Is there anyway to stop this, could someone who has a working h/l washer system please have a look see if there are any bits that stop this, something like a minimum pressure valve in the water line or something.

much obliged
horsetan

Re: dribbling headlight washers

Post by horsetan »

Drew wrote:.....could someone who has a working h/l washer system......
A WORKING one :?: :?: :?:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: *wipes tears from eyes*
Drew

Post by Drew »

perfectionism is a virtue

(maybe??)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Drew wrote:perfectionism is a virtue

(maybe??)
You do realise that you can count the number of UK working headlight wash/wipe systems on the fingers of one hand :?: :wink:
Drew

Post by Drew »

I do now

It was all worth it as on the first squirt one of the jets wasn't pointing anywhere near the headlight and caught a suprised innocent passer-by on the trouser leg. Quite a powerful pump

hohoho :lol:

I thought I might leave it like that to squirt middle-lane hoggers on the M1[/quote]
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

are your nozzles in the right place?

My system is complete but non-functional. I'll look for any extra bits next time I'm under the bonnet.

Incidentally if your pump is too high up it won't necessarily prime itself; possibly as disappointing as what you have now.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drew

Post by Drew »

ta Bruce

good point about the pump position, as it didn't stop the dripping anyway I'll put it back underneath the tank again

I assume the nozzles are in the right place as they are in teh same place I found them!!

Doing a bit of www searching, most modern cars with h/l washers have a valve integral with the nozzle which nust be spring-loaded on somehting so it acts like a minimum pressure valve, ie only opening when the pump pressurises the system
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I haven't got the wipers working but I wired the headlamp washer pump to the intensive cleaner pump to facilitate a headlamp 'wash-but-not-wipe' which is almost as effective as the wiper set-up - it certainly keeps my headlamps clear all through winter.

To eradicate nozzle dribble I extended the hose so it goes from the pump, up and over the tank and then back down to the nozzles. This won't completely cure the syphoning, but I found the placement of a simple non-return valve at the high-point of the hose did 8)

HTH,

Sharkfan.
Drew

Post by Drew »

good plan, I have enough pipe to do that. Where might I find a non-return valve?
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Halfords, 1.50 GBP ???
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dribbling

Post by ron »

Just put a NRV in the line from the pump to the washers.The BMW part has one line in/two out but I put a Halfords NRV in the line and used T-pieces to connect up to the jets.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti