Bentley Manual On Amazon??

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GripGreg

Bentley Manual On Amazon??

Post by GripGreg »

I just visited Amazon looking for a repair manual from Bentley for my '82 six and was not able to find anything.
Any tips?
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
hazunga

Post by hazunga »

Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

[Edit: Wow, just looked at the link to Amazon (the link on the goodies Page shows the same). They used to $38, they must be out of print?]

Is your '82 an e28 based car or is it based on the e12?

Even though all of the 6-Series cars are designated as the "e24" chassis, there was a change point in mid '82. Before then, the e24 shared many of it's components with the e12, 5-Series, and is referred to as "First Generation", "Series 1" or "e12 based". After '82, it shared with the e28, 5-Series ("Series 2" or "e28 based"). (06/82 is generally accepted as the change point, but be careful, not all parts changed over on that date).

There are no after market manuals for the 6-Series cars, so most people get the Bentley 5-Series '83-'88 manual if they have an e28 based Sixer, but Bentley doesn't make one for the e12. I'm told that Haynes had an e12 manual, but I guess they are out of print and getting hard to find.

There is however an online Factory Workshop Manual that has info for both the e12 and e28 based cars and the Euro Factory Specs and Torques as well as for Japan and the US. See the Goodies Page below.

BTW, have you seen the "Goodie Page"? It has links to Online (or PDF Downloads) of the Factory Workshop Manuals, Wiring Diagrams (ETM's), Parts Manuals, Online Suppliers, etc.:
viewtopic.php?t=10410
It is actually in the "Tech Articles" Section, "Stickied" at the top as "E24 Shop Manual" if you need to find it later.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Thanx Hazunga & everyone. After a lil more thought; I know I already have an E12 manual 'cause I have 3 E12's to try & maintain. So, I'll hold off with the E-24 manual.
Right now I need to lose the fuel smell from the trunk/boot. Am I right in thinking there's a flat rubber washer with six holes that I should install around the sending unit, or pump? I think there's only one access hole in the trunk/boot?
The small o-ring was installed already during a process of elimination.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong! I work under a very small shade tree!
But, this is one I think I can attack.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

GripGreg wrote:Thanx Hazunga & everyone. After a lil more thought; I know I already have an E12 manual 'cause I have 3 E12's to try & maintain. So, I'll hold off with the E-24 manual.
There is no e24 manual, except for the Factory Manual online which you have in your other post.
Right now I need to lose the fuel smell from the trunk/boot.
Also check out the 3 hoses that connect to the vent lines around the filler neck. Check out the filler neck for rust and holes.

files/tank_146.jpg

Post by GripGreg »

Thanx, Chris. I replaced the hoses you mentioned. I, also replaced the vapor canister & tightened the part that makes the gas nozzle receiver smaller. It was loose. The hose to the canister is in good shape.
So, I hope I have nothing left but the gasket with the six holes in it for, I guess, six bolts?
Oh, and yes my car is E-12 based. 8)
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is the Factory Manual, if you have an Intank pump:
http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc

And here is if you don't have the Intank pump:
http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc