Solenoid & Pressure Valve Source

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Neveragain55

Solenoid & Pressure Valve Source

Post by Neveragain55 »

Ok Gang,

I realize this topic has been beaten to death and ?yes? I?ve read through almost every thread covering this topic.

The dreaded ?harsh up-shift into first gear?

I have the 1989 ZF 4HP22/24-EH Automatic Transmission.

I?ve owned the car for 8 years and lived with the hard shifting for about 5 of those 8 years.

I?m confident after all my research that it?s either the pressure regulator or the solenoid that sits in the valve body causing the problem.

No, I?ve never changed the tranny fluid because my dinosaur brain won?t allow me too after destroying dozens of transmissions back in the 80?s by merely changing the transmission fluid.

?Guys near 50 or over don?t change transmission fluid?

We?re stuck with that old mentality of once you change the fluid you ruin the transmission (which was true back in the day)

BMW wants damn near $600.00 dollars for the solenoid and there?s just NO WAY in the world I?m paying that much money for such a tiny device.

I found one that Ford makes that is supposedly an equivalent and will work, the problem is I?ve lost that info and was wondering if one of you experts know of what I?m talking about..

I found it on eBay a long time ago and it was selling for about $45.00 bucks (big difference, right)

As always, thanks in advance?
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

Check the mid-80's Lincoln Continental...I think some were equipped with the ZF4hp22.
Neveragain55

Post by Neveragain55 »

Thanks, I wil.......
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

http://cobratransmission.com/index.php? ... id=3006029

Give them a call...price is not too bad if its the exact solenoid you need.
Neveragain55

Post by Neveragain55 »

Area52 if you were a woman I'd kiss you.............. :lol:

If you are a woman, you probably wouldn't want to kiss me LOLOLOLOL

Thanks a million, seriously.......
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

Howzabout the standard mechanics' hug and pat on the back?...hahaha

I just hope it is the same spec part you need. Report back once you know to help some of the other old wrenchers here.

One more thing I got to thinking about after I posted last night, you stated you didn't want to swap out the fluid for fear of loosening up the grundge and plugging ports in the valve body. Be real careful not to disturb too much whilst swapping out the regulator solenoid. I assume you have to drop the valve body to reach that solenoid????
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Auto Tranny ZF4HP22 troubleshooting charts and ATSG Overhaul Manual (scroll down):
viewtopic.php?t=4291&

ATSG Overhaul Manual :
http://www.txchange.com/atsg.htm
They are not the greatest, but not bad and better then nothing, I think I only paid $20?

Neveragain55

Post by Neveragain55 »

Area52,

Yes, your right I have to drop the entire valve body assembly to change out the solenoid, and I?m going to do my darndest not to disturb too much.

Years ago we would change tranny fluid in old Chevy?s, Fords, and Chrysler?s only to see the transmissions fail a few weeks later.

I learned (the hard way) that the sludge, grime and grunge that adheres to the clutches over the years helps to keep the friction and once you clean all of that stuff off by changing the fluid; you have just inadvertently ruined the transmission.

Even the owner of a professional transmission shop here in town that I?ve used in the past frowns on changing transmission fluid in old cars if the fluid has either never been changed or hasn't been changed in a very long time. (that should say a lot)

He?ll only change transmission fluid if the car has a history of getting regular changes from when it was new. (makes sense)

I promise to report back when it?s all done but be patient with me because I travel for a living and the winter months will quickly be upon us.

If I don?t get to it in the next few weeks, it?s gonna have to wait until the spring.

Chris,
Thanks for the manual, what would any of us do with your never ending help or expertise, thanks.

Thanks Guys????
grouchycat

Re: Solenoid & Pressure Valve Source

Post by grouchycat »

Hi all,

I realize the last post on this thread was several years ago but I figured I'd try this before starting a new thread ...

I also have ripped apart my valve body (ZF 4HP E22, 8 pin, 5 solenoid for an '87 635) and am in the process of piecing it back together. Two questions though:

1 - Are there specs for the pressure regulator solenoid I can test against? I have an ATSG manual but unfortunately it doesn't tell me what are correct readings. The terminals read 2.6 ohms. The pn on the solenoid body is Bosch 0 260 130 005 or ZF 0501 206 997

2 - My speed sensor measures infinite ohms. That doesn't sound right! Looking carefully at Shogun's rebuild pix I believe his manual says 26.5 ohms at 72.1F (but I could be wrong, and his body is the 7 pin version, don't know if that makes a difference)

BTW, my original problem is that my car doesn't shift automatically, but I can manually shift in 123 mode. I'm beginning to think maybe the speed sensor is the culprit ...?

Thanks for any help!
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Solenoid & Pressure Valve Source

Post by ron »

Please put location in your profile as requested.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti