Rear Light Cluster Removal

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Rear Light Cluster Removal

Post by sideshowbob »

I want to remove the rear light clusters from my '88 and clean and respray reflctors with silver/chrome paint. How easy is it to remove the rear panel inner liner to get to the fittings that hold the reflectors in place.
Some of my boot liners have seen better days and I am conscious that removing them inappropiately will not improve them !!
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

Remove the carpet cover at the back by freeing the press studs. Undo the two large plastic knurl wheels, remove the bulb cover and pop the lenses through to the back.

Undo the 8mm nuts holding the frames in place and separate frames, light units, gaskets etc.

Be prepared for an unpleasant sight when you get all of that off. Also be prepared to renew the frame gaskets - one now NLA and the other ?150 or so!! - and rope seals (probably what has been allowing moisture in in the first place) while you're in there.

I've stock of good s/h rear lights with good reflectors.
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Thanks Cecotto, will have a 'go' this weekend !!
Max Funderburk

tail light refurbish

Post by Max Funderburk »

Sideshowbob...perhaps my post will help you with your taillight project:

viewtopic.php?t=19605

Also, check out replacement units from Andy (at the bottom of this thread..lot's of ideas and info here)......I just did mine and I am thrilled with the results!

viewtopic.php?t=17592

All the best, Maxnt
maxnt-coupe crazy
'88 635 CSi
Londonderry, NH