M635CSi slow return to ilde

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hansniskatuki

M635CSi slow return to ilde

Post by Hansniskatuki »

This happens when engine is at normal temp, revs stay approx 1200 quite a while. But eventually return to idle. TPS is adjusted, throttle linkage is moving freely.. Where to next?
M635CSi -86
323i -81
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Have a look at the throttle cable itself as it can bind up at either end. It's not fun having a throttle jam open so if its dodgy at all replace it. If the TPS is clicking ok the only other thing that can lift revs is it accidentally going to cold start mode. Mine is disconnected so it idles abit grumpy for first min or so.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

A sticking idle control valve or vacuum leak can also cause this.
Hansniskatuki

Post by Hansniskatuki »

mojocoggo wrote:A sticking idle control valve or vacuum leak can also cause this.
I don't have ICV and vacuum leaks have been eliminated, fingers crossed (new hoses etc..).. The cold start valve and temp/time switch are also new.
M635CSi -86
323i -81
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

On RHD cars the lever which goes through the firewall can get sticky. A squirt of WD40 or similar should free it.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Hansniskatuki wrote:
mojocoggo wrote:A sticking idle control valve or vacuum leak can also cause this.
I don't have ICV and vacuum leaks have been eliminated, fingers crossed (new hoses etc..).. The cold start valve and temp/time switch are also new.
eh? No ICV? How so?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hansniskatuki

Re: M635CSi slow return to ilde

Post by Hansniskatuki »

Looong time, no see.. I have this, 13631272166 ADDITIONAL AIR SLIDE VALVE. And still same the problem, including some hesitation when revving from idle..
M635CSi -86
323i -81
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: M635CSi slow return to ilde

Post by Brucey »

that'll be your idle control valve then. It is just a different sort to normal with a different name.

Somehow there is too much air and too much fuel getting into the engine until the idle settles down. I am a bit suspicious of a sticky throttle/throttle cable, since if the TPS and the throttle were closing in the normal way, the overrun fuel cutoff would activate, which would cause the revs to dip once to a low level. A metered air leak of some kind in combination with the TPS being closed would cause the rpms to rise and stabilise below 1200rpm or cause the rpms to hunt as the overrun fuel cutoff cuts in again and again.

If the throttle linkage is sticky or the butterflies themselves are maladjusted or sticky, or there is a spring missing off the linkage, it is possible for some of the throttle butterflies to stay open longer than they should. This will cause the symptoms you see.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~