Question concerning excessive clutch play

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sskang

Question concerning excessive clutch play

Post by sskang »

Hello everyone,

This issue has been haughnting me for some time because I have yet to find the root cause. My clutch pedal height is too high and every time I operate it, the pedal doesn't return to its default position. It is perhaps approx. 10 centimeter higher and the area of the excessive stroke does not have resistance.

I changed the clutch master cylinder a while ago but did not change the compression spring. Now I'm starting to think that due to aging of the compression spring, it does not have sufficient force to pull the pedal back to its original position.

If anybody has has any similar experience, your advice would be greatly appreciated.
sskang
1987 M6 Alpinweiss
Tokyo, Japan

"Aller guten Dinge sind Sechs"
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

on the upstroke the pedal should either stop when the MC reaches full stroke upwards, or when it hits part of the pedalbox, normally with a fitting for a clutch switch (so you can fit cruise). If this stop breaks, or the pedal box is breaking so that the pedal moves sideways (quite common this) then the upward movement of the pedal will be restrained by the 'helper spring'.

However this part is commonly made with plastic components in them which see load in tension only if the normal pedal stop fails. So the helper spring assy will not stop the pedal on a permanant basis ( I have proven this by breaking one BTW).

Likewise some clutch MCs also are made with plastic pushrod parts these days, so I suspect they won't take being used as a pedal stop in the long term either. It is also possible that the MC piston snap ring has come loose.

So; look for a broken;

- pedal box
- helper spring assy
- clutch MC

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kurtamine_

Re: Question concerning excessive clutch play

Post by Kurtamine_ »

Seems like I am having a similar issue on my '81. I want to believe that my helper spring is faulty and not to mention that I broke the shaft in the process of getting it out, but I still feel like the issue may be something else. ](*,)

Anyone else have any input thanks in advance!
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse
brickwhite

Re: Question concerning excessive clutch play

Post by brickwhite »

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4& ... &start=150

This guy was making new clutch springs...
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic