odometer gears

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shuttleman

odometer gears

Post by Shuttleman »

If you are changing out all 3 gears, does the ratio still matter as long as you change the entire set?
winfred

Post by winfred »

you need the correct gear set to match the brand of speedo, VDO or motometer, the speedo is built to a different spacing of the gears
3/81 633 m30b35 & getrag 260/6, motronic 1.3 -sold

86 635 with nearly all goodies from rotted away 85 m635 including the m88/3, tuning in progress on motronic 3.3.1
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Has anyone with a late 6er had an OE Motometer speedo in theirs?
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Shuttleman,

Yes indeed, you want the three-gear set. Check out this page, and if you need futher info call or email the guys at OdometerGears.com. I have bought two sets from them so far, one for my E30 and most recently one for the E24:
http://www.odometergears.com/products/B ... 9+Elec./30

If your car was built in early '84 or prior, you may have a mechanical odometer. Go here:
http://www.odometergears.com/products/B ... 4+Mech./29

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Set from them was delivered Tue.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Shuttleman,

Good choice --- you won't regret it.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Radio and wiring out now for a swap and to track down an electrical leak. Then console to fix lighter socket.....THEN the instrument cluster.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Shuttleman,

If you are replacing your stock radio and harness and wish to sell the OE parts, please PM me. I am looking for a stock (or at least close-to-stock) head unit and wiring harness for our '84.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Mine had a kenwood. Replaced it with a plain looming Alpine. I will be pulling the stock amp out of the trunk.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

I'm stuck with a stupid Sony that glows nuclear-contamination-blue and scrolls propaganda even when off. :( I have an inoperative correct-for-'84 unit which I have had laying around since before we bought the car; guess I'll have to send it out and have it refurbished.

I'm dreading having to factory re-wire the car for the orginal radio, however; I went through that with my 320i earlier this year and it is a pain.

Just so that everybody knows that I'm not completely nuts, I add one of these little gems to every one of my factory BMW radio installations:
http://www.rediscoveradio.com/FM_RediRa ... prA4dJDu-k

The unit hides behind the dash and the input cord hides in the ash tray; I believe this is the best unit (but the least known) on the market. It lets me keep my '80s factory look and enjoy stealth MP3 sound.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Chances are that all the factory harness is still there. You can probably just splice the factory connectors back to it..... I bought a pretty basic looking Alpine media player for $89. No CD, AM FM Bluetooth.
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

While I agree that the wiring itself is probably intact, Shuttleman, I've had the radio out of there and some of the connectors are just plain gone. Where does one buy them so that I can spice the "business end" of the harness back in?

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Junkyard....or some folks remove them with the radio. Using an aftermarket head is easier...they come with new ones.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Shuttleman,

I know --- that's how all of the wiring harnesses end up getting hacked.

Laugh if you will; those old radios that BMW used had great sound (regardless of manufacturer, it seems) and, perhaps more importantly, were easy to operate while driving.

The newer aftermarket radios with a hundred tiny buttons --- without markings that can be read easily (if at all) --- are a hazard, and I simply have no desire to invest vast amounts of cash in iffy voice-activated technology to overcome that.

So: it would seem that an OE head unit and a Ready-Rad MP3 adapter is the optimal way for me to go.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Jeff,

You have me thinking as I recently installed a new JVC unit with Bluetooth in my car mainly to deal with Maryland's strict enforcement of cell phone use. I do have the factory Becker unit and if I could get it to sync with my iphone I might consider reinstalling it. Perhaps we can chat at Sharkfest in June.

BMWtyro wrote:Shuttleman,

I know --- that's how all of the wiring harnesses end up getting hacked.

Laugh if you will; those old radios that BMW used had great sound (regardless of manufacturer, it seems) and, perhaps more importantly, were easy to operate while driving.

The newer aftermarket radios with a hundred tiny buttons --- without markings that can be read easily (if at all) --- are a hazard, and I simply have no desire to invest vast amounts of cash in iffy voice-activated technology to overcome that.

So: it would seem that an OE head unit and a Ready-Rad MP3 adapter is the optimal way for me to go.

Jeff
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Randall,

Absolutely, but my understanding is that SharkFest will be held the weekend of May 3, 2014 somewhere in the Carolinas.

Ed Lyerly alerted us to this thread on BimmerForums posted by Kai Xing:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... st27110802

See post #1.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

No laughing here! Mine had already been "redone".