Removing the Power Flow Regulator

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Removing the Power Flow Regulator

Post by sansouci »

Hi all,
I'm trying to remove the power flow regulator to get to the accumulator (the dreaded brake bomb) and I've loosened 3 of the 4 flare nuts. There is a related article
http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/bomb.htm

but I can't seem to get to the bottom 17mm flare nut by the firewall.
All suggestions are welcomed. BTW, the 3/8" flare nut sockets from HF are just too bulky to fit in there. Maybe leave it in place and disconnect that line a the other end?

Many thanks
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Reinstalling the Power Flow Regulator - HELP!

Post by sansouci »

I'm now trying to reattach the two hydraulic lines that are in the back of the power flow regulator, tight up against the firewall.
I've left the mounting bolts very loose but can't seem to get the flare fitting to catch the female threads.. I've been at it for 2 hours and my 67 YO knees and back are hurtin'
I know this job has been described as a PITA. HUGE PITA.

All suggestions are very welcome. Otherwise I am at a standstill trying to get the 84 6-er back on the road.
--Ken in NY
Sansouci
Area 52

Re: Reinstalling the Power Flow Regulator - HELP!

Post by Area 52 »

sansouci wrote:I'm now trying to reattach the two hydraulic lines that are in the back of the power flow regulator, tight up against the firewall.
I've left the mounting bolts very loose but can't seem to get the flare fitting to catch the female threads.. I've been at it for 2 hours and my 67 YO knees and back are hurtin'
I know this job has been described as a PITA. HUGE PITA.

All suggestions are very welcome. Otherwise I am at a standstill trying to get the 84 6-er back on the road.
--Ken in NY
Just a remote thought...are the hose end threads exactly the same?...could you have them reversed? The only other thought would be to totally remove the mounting bolts on the regulator. I know what those hurtin' knees and back feel like...I'm just a couple years behind you!
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I Will Take Your SCond Suggestion. Also cannot Understand Why My Phone Is Capitalizing All The Words.
ken
Sansouci
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Slow progress on brake pressure accumulator

Post by sansouci »

I remember a post by someone who had the technique for changing the pressure accumulator without removing the regulator, but cannot find that post. Seems to me, replacing one threaded device makes more sense than 5 of them given all the plumbing that goes to the regulator.
1) I tried the "take it all apart and do it on the bench" approach but there's very little room next to the firewall for reassembly. Thought I'd cross threaded one of the fitting, but was lucky it didn't happen
2) Strategy two: reinstall the regulator's two hoses that are next to the firewall without the bomb. The route the loose bomb under the M/C by hand and bring it up under the regulator. While I can hand tighten it, can't seem to get a wrench, including a plumbing chain wrench from HF around it.
3) Left the plumbing that faces the engine off to try to gain access.

Please advise on the post I'm looking for and any other advice. My vacation's almost over and the garage queen is just sitting

By the way, there is a clip of some kind below the screen in the PS reservoir. Doesn't look like a C clip so I'm not going to touch it. Replacing the fluid seems to be an adequate solution.
--Ken
84 633 auto
Sansouci