what color powdercoat for the intake manifold?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

j24sailorboy

what color powdercoat for the intake manifold?

Post by j24sailorboy »

One thing leads to another. 85 635 US manual trans
Took fuel injectors out for a proper cleaning/testing. (after 30 years!! seems appropriate) but 2 of them lost their tips in the process. Ok, time to remove the intake manifold. OMG those back 2 nuts under the IM are entertaining! Had every imaginable swivel, flex, adapter, wobble extension known to mankind, to no avail. finally a sawed off 12 mm box wrench taped to the tip of my finger. only thing to do was see the humor in it.
of course, this also leads to replacement of the 30 year old starter while its wide open, cleaning of the engine compartment from past PS leaks and overfills, waterpump, tstat, hoses, plugs, cap, rotor. all good fun.
Was tempted to continue and pull the motor, but with no real leak issues, solid compression, and a clutch that seems just fine, its hard to justify.... LOVE this motor!
So, the IM, valve cover and some brackets are off at the powdercoat shop. cheap! $90 for everything. Question is, should I do the intake black wrinkle like the valve cover, or silver/grey? I am trying to be somewhat faithful to originality, but not stupidly so. Is a black IM too much towards pimping the ride?
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I like the silver for original design but also for leak and dribble detection.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I would suggest black semi-gloss smooth.
The wrinkle would look sorta odd to me.
Plus, the smooth texture will be easier to clean. :wink:
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I recently had my valve cover powdercoated wrinkle black, and think it looks great, and not at all out of place (think Alpina). I'd like to do the intake manifold the same way, but I'm not sure it's worth the horrible task of pulling the manifold off just for that purpose. My injectors are already new. Anyway, here's the valve cover:

dick635

Post by dick635 »

I wonder how much heat would be absorbed in traffic with a black intake manifold. Probably not a lot but combined with the superior aesthetics of silver (or nicely polished aluminium?)
Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified
13 Volkswagen R -daily driver

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.
j24sailorboy

Post by j24sailorboy »

That's a nice looking valve cover!
I doubt the logic that a black IM will absorb more heat, but even if it does, and that translates to warmer combustion air, I'm not at the track trying to shave a tenth off my 1/4 mile.
85 635csi Bronzit Beige Manual, sport seats
01 Audi Allroad
84 BMW 533i gone
68 Camaro sold it to Little brother who cracked it up
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

The cover will radiate more heat than it absorbs, no matter what color it is. Unless you're sitting still ambient temperature around the engine is going to be lower than the internal temperature 90% of the time.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"