My dim dash lights

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

hoadie

My dim dash lights

Post by hoadie »

So, some background...

For years, I've had a bit of a gremlin with my car not charging properly. My mechanic would had the alternator to his auto electrician, who'd rebuild it, it would get re-fitted, and I'd find it wouldn't put out the right voltage. I don't drive the car so much now as I have a collection of motorbikes, but eventually the car would go back to the mechanic, alternator would go back to the sparkie, and over and over it goes...

So I finally decided to buy a re-built Bosch unit from Pelican last week and had it fitted today. It works perfectly. But, I have these dim lights on my dash...

and this proves the lights actually work

Now, some relevant info:

1. The old alternator, towards the end, wasn't charging. I managed to charge it just enough to get the car under battery power alone, to the mechanic. It only died once.
2. Before changing the alternator, the battery light did NOT light up (even though the battery wasn't charging).
3. The battery light works, as per above pic
4. The battery is knackered, as per the indicator on it, and will be replaced tomorrow.
5. Everything electrical works, and the voltage regulator appears to be working too, as turning the headlights on only sees a momentary drop in voltage before getting back up to around 13.8/14.0v.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas as to what might be at fault here?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

bad ground...?

bad feed (corrosion in the fuse box perhaps)...?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Thanks Brucey, the mechanic's first comments were: bad ground.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you get a good ohm-meter you can check to see if there is any appreciable resistance between the 'ground' in the cluster and the chassis of the car.

Similarly you should be able to check that there isn't any appreciable resistance in the 12V feed to the cluster either.

Finding that there is a fault is one thing, actually locating it is quite another....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~