Indicators work but no hazards?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

deacs

Indicators work but no hazards?

Post by deacs »

The hazard lights have stopped working on my e24. The left and right indicators work fine but when I press the hazard switch nothing at all occurs. Any ideas? Faulty switch?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the hazard flasher is a whole separate thing; you need to get the ETM and have at it...

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
deacs

Post by deacs »

Yep have had a look at the ETM. I see there are two fuses for the indicator/hazard set up. both fuses are ok. I reckon its probably the switch gone bad, I need to attack the dashboard anyway to try and get the blowers working so will take the hazard switch out for a look
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

deacs wrote:Yep have had a look at the ETM. I see there are two fuses for the indicator/hazard set up. both fuses are ok. I reckon its probably the switch gone bad, I need to attack the dashboard anyway to try and get the blowers working so will take the hazard switch out for a look
The switch contacts can get sticky and not connect, so first squirt a little WD40 into the switch with the straw and work the switch in and out to free it up and see if it helps.
deacs

Post by deacs »

Right a little update...

Took switch apart, cleaned up contacts, made sure nothing was sticking etc. plugged it back in and pressed button. Hazard lights came on once and then nothing. No matter how many times I pressed the button/wiggled it etc I could not get them to work again.

I might add that the indicators/turn signals are still working fine. Just no hazards.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Brucey,
Does the emergency flasher relay attached to the steering column (under the cover) also control the directional flasher?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
deacs

Post by deacs »

I believe it does as I can feel a pulsing under the steering column when indicators are operated. Only thing I can think at mo is the permanent live to the hazard light switch from fuse 24 is intermittent for some reason
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

yup, the ('85, say) ETM is pretty clear, the same flasher unit drives the direction indicator lights (turn signals) whether they are being used as hazards or turn signals.

Note that the flasher can only work if it has both power and load. The hazard switch controls both of these things; the turn signals only work with the ignition on (eg from fuse #4) but the hazards should work all the time ( eg from fuse 24).

So how do you tell what is going on? Well, if the hazards don't work but the turn signal does, it means that

a) the power from fuse 24 (always hot) isn't getting to the flasher on 'hazard setting' as Deacs suggests, or

b) that the hazard switch isn't connecting the load correctly.

Looking at the circuit diagram it appears that the turn signal switch is still connected to the lights even when the hazards are on, so if you use a turn signal when the hazards are meant to be 'on' and one set of lights start to work you know that fuse 24 is OK but you have a duff switch.

Now I've not tried this myself, but that is how it looks to me! NB the fuse allocations can vary, so check carefully!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ak2799

Re: Indicators work but no hazards?

Post by ak2799 »

I have the same issue. Indicators work but when the hazard light switch is pressed, there is nothing. there is no power across fuse 24. Any ideas?
ak2799

Re: Indicators work but no hazards?

Post by ak2799 »

All good. I discovered one of fuse # 24 female pins was not seeded so was not making contact with the fuse and completing the circuit. I went underneath the fuse cover and re-seeded the pin.