What are these tubes....?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dnesdlrow

What are these tubes....?

Post by dnesdlrow »

Had my M635 for a week and slowly working out what's what.

Any idea what these two hard plastic tubes are than seem to run from behind the instrument cluster into the engine bay around the left side into what seems to be a motor behind each light cluster. There's a white one and a light blue one. (I've traced the route in red in the photo) Unfortunately mine have broken off by the firewall.

They are supposed to come out near the intensive wash reservoir but I don't think they have anything to do with that?

I've noticed the same thing on other 635Csis but not all.
Attachments
M6 tubes.jpg
M6 tubes.jpg (419.81 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Ubercoupe

Post by Ubercoupe »

greetings from Dublin, Headlight alignment? headlight washer fluid? the switch is beside the steering rack, the thick plastic tubes, actually both systems are prone to failure. I presume the prolonged heat exposure in the engine bay doesn't help. best of luck with the m6.

Post by dnesdlrow »

Hello from Cork!

I don't think it's washer fluid as I can trace that to the reservoirs. Although I could easily be wrong. And the washer fluid tube is a different kind of tube, you can see it in the bottom left of the photo, sort of yellow brown with a criss cross wire pattern in it.

The tubes I'm talking about are a hardish plastic, coming out from behind the dash with a wiring loom. Could they be some kind of vacuum lines??
When I get more time I'll have a good root around and try and work it out. And I'll post a better photo.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

See below. Impossible to repair and NLA from BMW.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E24/E ... im_control

You can replace the adjusters with #10 below.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E24/E ... headlight/

Somewhere on here is a full description of the replacement procedure.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
dnesdlrow

Post by dnesdlrow »

I think I'll cross my fingers that they adjusted ok where they are and leave it alone. Seems a lot of sweat and tears for not much gain.
Good to know what they are though, thanks.