Windshield Wipers Jumping

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brtele

Windshield Wipers Jumping

Post by brtele »

If the wipers are not utilized for a week or more, the 1st time they are used they are very slow and jumpy. The more they're utilized, the faster/smoother they start to become. I had to use them a lot yesterday and by the end of the day they functioned normal. This morning they were normal. If they were to sit for a week, they would start back up jumpy/slow.

Is this a lubrication issue somewhere or is it electrical?

I've tried to search on the forum for a solution, but I can't find a thread where this was happening to someone else.

Thanks,
Brandon
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

it could be that the spindles are partially seized in their bushes. This tends to accentuate any slack in the linkage ball joints that there might be and slow everything up.

To check for this, remove the linkage from the motor (having noted/marked its exact position) and operate the wiper linkage by hand. It should move easily (when the blades are off the glass).If it doesn't, it needs an overhaul.

If you want never to have to overhaul the linkage again, consider modifying the spindle bushings as per the thread I wrote; the system can be made to use a grease nipple so that the spindle bushings always have grease in them.

Oddly enough I have the exact same trouble with my land rover at present; I might do the same thing with that as well.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I had this problem with my 633CSi, but with regular use in the rain, everything has gone back to normal. I had attributed it to the car sitting/ not being used for a few years.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Grease also builds up and “gumsâ€
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Feld1128

Re: Windshield Wipers Jumping

Post by Feld1128 »

There is a thread on this somewhere on this forum, the grease gets hard from age and you need to clean out the old grease from the motor and replace with new grease. Took about an hour easy repair.
brtele

Post by brtele »

Funny you just responded to this, it's sleeting in Kansas City today and I was going to try and pull the threads connected to this subject. I've gotten a little better at searching this forum before I ask every single question I have. Thanks for the help.
'83 633, 5 speed manual, daily driver
'66 Ford Mustang, 302, Auto
'89 Ford Bronco, 5.0EFI, Auto
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Here's the wiper repair instructions

http://ozzel94.blogspot.com/
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
brtele

Post by brtele »

I followed the instructions and cleaned/regreased the motor with Dielectric Grease, but I'm getting a "whirring" noise when the wipers are utilized. Going to have to take it apart this coming weekend to see what's going on. No jumping now, but noisy. Dang it.
brtele

Post by brtele »

I know, I know... I should've addressed this issue 2 years ago, but life's gotten in the way and I just don't drive the car in the rain.

Question for the brain trust: The wipers move fluid/smooth with the setting is set to fast or I manually hold the single pass (down). If I momentarily push the single pass (down) lever the wipers will start to jump, but if I continually hold it down through the pass, the wipers are smooth.

Based on the above description, I tend to believe the wiper lever is not sending a good signal. Noteworthy, the wiper switch assembly inside the steering column is very loose or has a lot of play.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

My windshield wipers act similarly. Holding the momentary position always works. Fast speed always works. Slow speed sometimes works fine and sometimes stutters across the windshield. If I turn it on slow and it works fine it will continue to work if I don't touch the lever which makes me also believe it is the switch.

I have also known about this problem for several years and I also have not dealt with it. Since I can get it to work my motivation level to tear apart the steering column is low. :-)

I do notice that the spindle(?) where the wiper arm attaches wobbles when the wipers are moving and I believe there is a rubber damping ring that can be replaced to fix that and that may also make them run smoother. Yet another task I haven't gotten to yet.
1985 635CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

erratic wipers could be a dodgy switch but IME it is just as (if not more) likely that the gearbox is full of dried grease and/or the linkage is worn. If the spindles are moving around there is only one cause for this; the spindle bushings are worn and need to be rebuilt/replaced. Yes there are seals at the top of the spindles and yes they will have failed, but fitting new ones to worn bushings is a waste of time; they will see abnormal movement/wear and will soon fail again.

viewtopic.php?t=998

describes how to modify your windscreen wiper linkage so that the spindles can be kept properly greased (pictures gone missing.... :roll: )

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=722

describes how to overhaul the motor and gearbox

By their very nature wiper blades can stick/slip and if this (in combination with wear in the linkage/pivots) imposes an intermittent reaction load back into the gearbox, and the electrical contacts in the gearbox are getting a bit dicky, then the motor itself can turn intermittent.

cheers
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

Thanks for the links, Brucey! The mechanicals sound like a can-o-worms project. I think this one will need to wait until I have a garage again...
1985 635CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

both the spindles and the bushes can wear so when rebuilding it is best if you prepare yourself for new parts (or new bushings turned up on a lathe) or something.

It is best if you do everything together but overhauling the motor/gearbox is a benchtop job (the motor/gearbox comes out without having to remove the whole linkage I think) so can be tackled without dealing with the linkage assy and/or having a garage to hand.

cheers