Central Locking issue (possibly alarm linked?)

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Mark Shutt

Central Locking issue (possibly alarm linked?)

Post by Mark Shutt »

I have a part functioning central locking system, from the drivers door I can't open the rest of car (I have to use the boot lock to open filler flap and passenger door). I can lock the car in the usual way but drivers door doesn't lock!

to complicate things there is a Scorpion 738 alarm fitted that is turned off and maybe causing problems, I don't have a key or fob for this unit and it looks like it's been fitted a long time!

has anybody else been in a similar scenario and what do people suggest?

thanks, Mark.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

one possibility is that the wiring in the drivers door has gone bad through fatigue, so if you can do, check that for continuity before you do much else.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

I just had the door card off and have put it back on for now! I don't have any wiring diagrams as of yet so didn't want to just dive in blind folded.. I figured if I have a wiring diagram I could start at the actuator and see what it's doing.. the actuator opens with key but not close.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Mark, This post should be in the Engine- Mechanical-Electrical section. Can you move it please?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

ron wrote:Mark, This post should be in the Engine- Mechanical-Electrical section. Can you move it please?
sorry, I'll see if I can figure out how to move it! but I looked at this forum because it said Electronics, my bad!

The Workshop
Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I'd be getting rid of that alarm first up.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

I'm getting somewhere with the CL now, I can get everything to open and close with the boot/trunk lock, just need that to happen from drivers door now! I've had a look at the control unit and if I ground out terminals 6 and 7 the doors open and unlock fine, not sure what this tells me though!

spoke to a few old school alarm installers and they said the Scorpion alarm should not be effecting anything on the central locking circuit..
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

there is a switch included in the drivers door mechanism; if this (or the wiring to it) has failed the system won't lock/unlock from the driver's door.

cheers
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

Brucey wrote:there is a switch included in the drivers door mechanism; if this (or the wiring to it) has failed the system won't lock/unlock from the driver's door.

cheers
Only switch I can see is the deadlock switch and that appears to be functioning.. is it built into actuator?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Mark Shutt wrote:
spoke to a few old school alarm installers and they said the Scorpion alarm should not be effecting anything on the central locking circuit..
Should not be and can't are two different things. When they go wonky they can and will affect the central locking circuit. Ask me how I know.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Perhaps this will help with the diagnosis:

http://www.mesaperformance.com/faqs/centlock.html
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Mark Shutt wrote:
Brucey wrote:there is a switch included in the drivers door mechanism; if this (or the wiring to it) has failed the system won't lock/unlock from the driver's door.

cheers
Only switch I can see is the deadlock switch and that appears to be functioning.. is it built into actuator?
in some cases, yes. It ought to be clear from the wiring diagram and the appearance (number of wires into etc) the actuator itself.

cheers
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

thanks for the help so far! from what I can see the only wires directly on the handle are the heater element for lock and the deadlock switch underneath, there is 5 or 6 wires for the actuator.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Old alarms are bad news. Take it out.

Don't forget to move this post to the correct section, as Ron requested :wink:
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

Pod wrote:Old alarms are bad news. Take it out.

Don't forget to move this post to the correct section, as Ron requested :wink:
I don't know how to move it, can someone explain please? Usually this is a mod/admin only job?

Mark
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Yes, I believe moving a thread is an admin job, not something the original poster can do.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"