fuel smell by gas tank when it's full or nearly full

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ronnieg

fuel smell by gas tank when it's full or nearly full

Post by ronnieg »

Whenever I fill the tank, I consistently smell gas fumes from the rear of the car, near the filler. after I drive for a while and the level recedes, it no longer smells.....only when it's nearly full or close to full.

The cap looks to be tight.

I do not see any leaks under the car.

Thoughts on where the fumes might be coming from? and how to get to it/them?
Happier in a 635
635L6M3

Post by 635L6M3 »

There are 3 vent hoses coming out of the filler neck going to a canister in the trunk. They wear / rot away after years.

Also, there is a gasket by the fuel pump / fuel level sender, which could be bad. Located under the trunk carpet.

Probably a fill neck gasket or something as well, but I'm not sure.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=16_0096

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=16_0014
'87 L6 Schwarz / Natur (sold)
'87 L6 Schwarz / Lotusweiss
'02 M3

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Check that all three rubber vent lines from tank to expansion chamber are intact , correctly secured and not split /perished.
Check and follow the actual vent to atmosphere line that runs out of the expansion tank down and round to the tow point behind the spare wheel well.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showparts ... Id=16_0074
Obviously check the tank for signs of weeping from any rusted sections . I found mine had several pin holes above and below the centre joint of the tank.

Good luck
Don

EDIT
The actual vent line may differ from EU to USA spec.
Last edited by olympia57 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 thoughts . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

There are 2 possible sources of this gas fume "leak", presuming that your tank itself isn't leaking, around the filler neck, for instance :-k

By the filler neck but accessable from the right hand side of the trunk (boot) there are 3 braided vent/return lines that often get brittle over time and start to weep :(

Also, under the trunk mat you will find an access panel to the in-tank fuel pump, which can also be a source of leaking [-X

I would start investigating in these 2 locations :wink:

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
slofut

Post by slofut »

olympia57 wrote:Check that all three rubber vent lines from tank to expansion chamber are intact , correctly secured and not split /perished.
Check and follow the actual vent to atmosphere line that runs out of the expansion tank down and round to the tow point behind the spare wheel well.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showparts ... Id=16_0074
Obviously check the tank for signs of weeping from any rusted sections . I found mine had several pin holes above and below the centre joint of the tank.

Good luck
Don

EDIT
The actual vent line may differ from EU to USA spec.
Even if they look great (as did mine) they can still weep fumes. I blamed it on everything else first, finally changed those three hoses and like magic ...no more dreadful smell.
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
ronnieg

Post by ronnieg »

OK, thanks to all!. I'll check them all out and report back.

Merry Christmas!
Happier in a 635
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Check there's no corrosion around the three pipes where they enter the tank. With a full tank, I've found petrol may seep out here as you corner.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Realoem shows a lot of 6x11mm and 8x13mm fuel hose. How much will I need to re-plumb my aging '84 633? Who's got the best stuff? I've seen a lot of Conti and CRP...Is that short for CR#P?
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Buy German (Conti) not Chinese (CR*P). You need 8mm for the majority of it so buy 3 meters (a little over 9 feet) and it will cover what you need for feed lines and return lines. 2 meters might be too tight so I aim for a little extra as you want your lines to have room to move. The feed line from the tank to the fuel pump is 12 mm and you will need 2 feet (less than 1 meter).

The 6X11 is used for the vent lines and you'll need about 3 meters of that as well.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Steve M6

Post by Steve M6 »

For some reason BMW used original fuel lines having a braided fabric reinforcing. I have had them all fail by seeping gas on both of my 6-series cars, a 5-series E28, and BMW motorcycles.

If you can see any braided lines, they all must be replaced. You will also need about 8 new worm-drive clamps. I replaced one line at a time so the original routing to the cannister in the trunk below the package shelf was maintained.
'86 635CSi 5-sp
'88 M6 Canadian
'03 530i 5-sp - ordered new, now gone, victim of someone else's spin-out on I880
'02 530i 5-sp - now my daily driver - finally replaced my original 530i
'96 Ford F-150, 5-sp too
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Pod wrote:Check there's no corrosion around the three pipes where they enter the tank. With a full tank, I’ve found petrol may seep out here as you corner.

Beyond “seepingâ€
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Absolutely agree. Yours had gone past seeping! However, I have found that when corrosion is not too far advanced, this can only be seen with a full tank and wetness apparent around the pipes. As soon as fuel level drops, all looks well .
ronnieg

Re: fuel smell by gas tank when it's full or nearly full

Post by ronnieg »

Replacing the three hoses appears to have worked. no fuel smell this time. one of the hose clamps was loose, which could have been the whole problem, but I replaced the three hoses while at it.

thanks to all who posted helpful advice and pics.

Happy New Year.
Happier in a 635