1981 633 Wiring questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hefeweizen

1981 633 Wiring questions

Post by Hefeweizen »

Got a couple of questions where I could not find the answer to.
1. On the ignition coil, I have a black/red and a black wire. which one goes to positive and which one to negative? I'd think that the black goes to negative?

2. The green wire on the distributor, is that supposed to carry any current at all and if how many volts?

Still trying to get that car going. I have fuel but no spark.
Last edited by Hefeweizen on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1981 633 Wireing questions

Post by GRNSHRK »

I'll take a look tonight Rainer, as I am in the process of performing an electrical tuneup as we speak =D>

IIRC, that green wire has been a mystery to me as well :-k

But I'll get you the +/- info on the coil for sure :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Isn't the Green wire from the old points system Condenser? Typical of many german cars of the era. I've seen them cut off on many Mercedes cars.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, no points Ralph, but . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...it may serve a similar function :-k

Starting in 1980 (I think...) the dizzy has that inductive pickup deal and had done away with traditional points, thankfully =D>

I lost the little U-shaped clip that retains the connector on the green wire, but it's never fallen out of the dizzy so I have no idea if it would run without it or not :-?

Again, I'll be poking around tonight, amidst cleaning spark plugs and whatnot :wink:
Bobbo
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Thank you guys for your input so far. I was trying earlier to do the remote start via the diagnostic plug but there was nothing going at all. If anyone could please also tell me how to jump the relays in case I need to do that. For starters (no pun intended) I think I get a new coil.
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

cgswift

Post by cgswift »

Rainer,
You have probably already seen this; it's from an '83. http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e24/e24_83.pdf
This shows a green wire from the ignition switch going to the primary side of the coil. Hope that this helps! Toph
1983 633CSi Balticblau Metallic
1972 K5 Blazer w/4Wheel Popup
1972 Datsun 510 Badass Monster!
1959 Corvette FI 283
1950 8N Ford Tractor (Harrison)

"Strive for perfection, excellence will be accepted."
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Now I'm not sure it is the same, but the 1983 ETM shows the green wire as ignition switch to coil primary at terminal 15. The black wire is the timing control from Motronic. I don't see a black/red wire ?
Attachments
ignition633.JPG
ignition633.JPG (110 KiB) Viewed 12374 times
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

FWIW some early cars (eg 1979/1980 models with L-jet) have a three-wire coil arrangement. Typically the blk connection is coil -ve (goes to an ignition control module) and there are two connections to the coil +ve terminal.

The green wire is typically connected via a ballast resistor (and is hot in crank and run) and the blk/red wire is connected to the starter motor so that it feeds ~+12V on cranking straight to the coil.

Presumably if the coil is no longer the original then it could have been replaced by a non-ballasted version, or something. You need to check the pn's carefully.

Do bear in mind that the cold start injector will provide fuel on cranking even if the rest of the EFI system is completely knackered.

On L-jet the primary timing signal is provided by the distributor. Without this signal there will be no sparks and no main injector function. If you have motronic then you need speed and ref sensor signals as well as a 'start' signal to the ECU before you can get spark etc.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

cgswift wrote:Rainer,
You have probably already seen this; it's from an '83. http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e24/e24_83.pdf
This shows a green wire from the ignition switch going to the primary side of the coil. Hope that this helps! Toph
Thanks! Yes I did see the diagram for the 83 but the 81 is different. I do have the location for the green wire and it does plug into the distributor (Dizzy Cap). The question was if that green wire has any power at all. Also, on the diagram I attached you see that there is a black and a black/red wire going to the coil but it does not show which color goes to positive and negative.
Attachments
1980_633_EL12a.jpg
1980_633_EL12a.jpg (416.82 KiB) Viewed 12354 times
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

as per the diagram above the +ve blk/red wire is drawn as connecting to the + side of the coil. (The coil will still work if wired in reverse, just slightly less well BTW).

The green wire to the distributor is (for L-jet) the primary timing signal for the whole engine, and connects to a hall-effect sensor within the distributor.

You do have L-jet, right?

cheers
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Excited to see you getting this car going finally!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Brucey wrote:as per the diagram above the +ve blk/red wire is drawn as connecting to the + side of the coil. (The coil will still work if wired in reverse, just slightly less well BTW).

The green wire to the distributor is (for L-jet) the primary timing signal for the whole engine, and connects to a hall-effect sensor within the distributor.

You do have L-jet, right?

cheers
Thanks Brucey! If the L-Jet is the one without the points, then yes.

So you are saying that the green cable transmits the pulse and has no current? Thinking that the coil may be fried since I do get power to the coil but nothing seems to get out of it. :-k
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Updates . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

OK, right out of an actual wire bound hard copy electrical troubleshooting manual please refer to the attached PDF =D>

And as per Brucey (like he's ever wrong #-o ) the red/blk wire goes to the + side of the coil and the blk wire goes to the - side :wink:

On my '80, that green wire from the dizzy disappears into a wiring harness, but the diagram shows that it sends a signal from the impulse sender to the ignition control unit, "solid state", gotta love it #-o

Hope this helps Rainer 8)
Attachments
Ignition Wiring Diagram - 1981 6er.pdf
1981 Ignition Wiring Diagram
(37.16 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Bobbo
Hefeweizen

Re: Updates . . .

Post by Hefeweizen »

GRNSHRK wrote:OK, right out of an actual wire bound hard copy electrical troubleshooting manual please refer to the attached PDF =D>

And as per Brucey (like he's ever wrong #-o ) the red/blk wire goes to the + side of the coil and the blk wire goes to the - side :wink:

On my '80, that green wire from the dizzy disappears into a wiring harness, but the diagram shows that it sends a signal from the impulse sender to the ignition control unit, "solid state", gotta love it #-o

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

that is an interesting diagram because it shows the operation of the ballast resistor in more detail. It looks like there is always some ballast resistance with this setup (0.6 ohms when cranking, 1.0ohm when running). If someone has changed this arrangement then it could be bad for the rest of the system.

In order for you to get 'spark on cranking' with this system , the ignition control module needs to be in good order, it needs to see volts from several sources (from the combi relay and the key I think) , the coil needs to be good and have a good power feed, and the distributor pulse generator needs to be operative.

The best method for troubleshooting this lot would vary with the facilities etc available. A good method would be to check all connections where possible, and have 'known good' parts to substitute until you find the duff item. A lot of L-jet users carry a spare combi-relay, they don't last forever.

If you monitor pin 13 on the diagnostic plug it should look like 12V with the ignition on (if the coil primary is good and there is a feed to the coil), but then show a strong AC signal on cranking (if the pulse generator and the ignition control module are good).

BTW later LE-jet systems (as fitted to some M20s as well as 2.5 and 2.8 litre M30s) look a lot like this but there is an additional box in the system (like there's not enough already... :roll: :shock: ) that (IIRC) adds mapped ignition adjustments according to load (as inferred from the ECU fuelling signal) to the vacuum and centrifugal ignition timing as derived from the distributor. I have often wondered if it is possible to add this unit to an earlier L-jet system; it allegedly improves fuel economy.

cheers
Hefeweizen

Re: 1981 633 Wiring questions

Post by Hefeweizen »

Got it figured out! Both cables are red/black but one is thinner (-) and the other is thicker (+). I swapped out the coil and do have a spark now. The old rotor was busted and I got a new one. Bad part is that it is not the right size. No idea what O'Reileys looked at. Should have that rascal running soon!
http://house-calls.us/RickBMW633P2.html
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I hope you get it running soon!I have a feeling you will like that engine a lot!
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Yes me again! So I have the car running now but it keeps shutting off after driving it for a while. The last time the car died, I checked if I still get fuel, which I did. Then I checked for spark and I did not get a spark at all. Playing around with the ballast resistor and all the connection and voila, I did get a spark. I had the ballast resistor hanging there and when I wanted to mount that part back on the wall I burned my fingers on that part! My guess would be that the heat to that extend is not normal? How does one test the ballast resistor?
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Ignition ballast resistors normally run very hot, too hot to touch. They usually have a metal tie-down strap that doubles as a heat sink. Although the resistor may be the culprit, I would suspect the coil itself first. I've had two of them die, one in my 1987 E30, and the other in the 1984 633. Each got incredibly hot before they died.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

That sure is good to know! Thank you so much!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)

tschultz

Re: Updates . . .

Post by tschultz »

GRNSHRK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:34 pm OK, right out of an actual wire bound hard copy electrical troubleshooting manual please refer to the attached PDF =D>

Great document there Bobbo!! Helped me to clarify my ballast resistor wiring.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi