Repairing turn signal switch

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

Repairing turn signal switch

Post by clipper47 »

After just installing a new ignition switch I now find that the turn signal switch on my 635CSi is not working properly. It works fine when moving the left down to the left turn position but when pushed up to a right position I hear only a buzz like a poor electrical contact would make. My question is; can this switch be taken apart and the contact repaired etc.or will another switch have to be sourced.
Dave
clipper47

Re: Repairing turn signal switch

Post by clipper47 »

I guess I jumped the gun on this question. I removed the lower steering column panel and the rubber disc dust seal and was able to squirt a dose of contact cleaner into the switch components and all seems well again.
Dave

Post by WISE9UY »

Don't forget to check the relay also. Those can give out after a while too.
------------------------------------
1988 M6 / 1988 635csi 5sp / 1986 635csi 5sp / 1986 635csi Auto
1989 325i 5sp / 1987 325is 5sp
1973 3.0CS / 1970 2800CS
2000 323i Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 2002 / 1996 M3 S50B32 / 2009 M3 / 1979 528i
josh

Post by josh »

I had this exact same problem. I swapped out bulbs, i traced and ohm'd wires, cleaned connections, rechecked grounds, replaced the relay, etc, etc. Then I took the turn signal switch out, drilled out the two rivets holding it together (really just drilled the tops off and pushed them out), then took a dremel with a small rotary wire brush to all the contacts, regreased everything, and zipped tied the housing back together. (would have used some tiny screws but didn't have any handy) Now everything works like brand new.

Mind you, this is IF one of the turn signals isn't working, but the hazards are fine. It was really easy compared to all the other things I tried before hand.

Just wanted to post this here in case someone is trying to search for a solution. I wish I had had the fore-site to take pictures to post, but it's really straight forward once you get it apart.

-josh
1988 635Csi Auto
Bronzit Beige Metalic
hornhospital Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That would have been a much cheaper option than spending $158 on a new switch like my buddy did. Thanks for posting! =D>
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

josh wrote:I had this exact same problem. I swapped out bulbs, i traced and ohm'd wires, cleaned connections, rechecked grounds, replaced the relay, etc, etc. Then I took the turn signal switch out, drilled out the two rivets holding it together (really just drilled the tops off and pushed them out), then took a dremel with a small rotary wire brush to all the contacts, regreased everything, and zipped tied the housing back together. (would have used some tiny screws but didn't have any handy) Now everything works like brand new. Mind you, this is IF one of the turn signals isn't working, but the hazards are fine. It was really easy compared to all the other things I tried before hand. Just wanted to post this here in case someone is trying to search for a solution. I wish I had had the fore-site to take pictures to post, but it's really straight forward once you get it apart. -josh
No reason to zip tie. I rebuilt mine using some new ball bearings and springs from my local hardware store as mine came apart when I had it stored. The ball bearing and spring are what work with the detent to keep the lever in position. When ready to put it back together, I tapped the hole and used a 5/40 Alan screw. No zip tie and nice and mechanical looking
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
josh

Post by josh »

Yeah, if I had any screws that would fit, I would have done just that. But nothing I had on hand was small enough, so I went with zips which work fine, but, as you say, don't look very good (though, you can't see them when everything is put back together). If/when I plan to have the steering wheel etc off again, I'll make sure to do it properly.
1988 635Csi Auto
Bronzit Beige Metalic
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Believe it or not, screws and tap came from an ACE Hardware store.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.