Drivers door wont unlock, passenger door unlocks but then locks again almost immediatley

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Utern

Drivers door wont unlock, passenger door unlocks but then locks again almost immediatley

Post by Utern »

Hi Guys got a problem with the central locking system on my 82 633csi build date 11/81

The drivers door lock has quit working, if I attempt to unlock the door on the drivers side nothing happens. If I unlock the doors from the passengers door or trunk the passenger door and trunk unlock for a moment then lock again. Even when you try to open the drivers door when its momentarily unlocked it wont open and doesn't seem to be engaged at all but you can get the passengers door to open if your quick. If I crawl in from the passengers side and try to open the drivers door using the inside handle the door will not open but the lock plunger on the top of the door pops up but the door will not unlatch. When I turn the key in the divers door nothing happens at all no click or any noise. With the drivers side door locked I would have a very hard time taking the door card off.

I was wondering if anyone can think of a way to unlock the drivers door. I had a thought but don't know if its feasible? could I jump the "impact unlock" component to get the door open? (that's when the doors locks automatically unlock on impact or collision)
1982 633csi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Drivers door wont unlock, passenger door unlocks but then locks again almost immediatley

Post by baders »

Can you get someone else to help you just so that you may get that door open ? Does the drivers side door also unlock (momentarily) ? Can you hear the lock motor work ? My guess is that your drivers side door lock switch is stuck in the lock position. Most likely operating mechanism is U/S, a common thing, but maybe the switch itself. You need to get that door open to work on it.

I ended up installing a Mongoose remote lock system as I was sick of diving into the doors to fix the shoddy mechanisms. Maybe one day I'll fix it properly.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Drivers door wont unlock, passenger door unlocks but then locks again almost immediatley

Post by Da_Hose »

If everything is all mucked up and grease is dry, the car will sense one of the solenoids not opening and then reset all the others. If you can get the door opened, you should pull the panels, lubricate all the linkages in both doors.

I can relate that my key won't open the driver's side door because the mechanicals are just plain worn out. The key can't physically rotate things enough to unlock the mechanism. My passenger side will still open with the key, but I need to replace the driver's side lock tumbler.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Utern

Post by Utern »

baders wrote:Can you get someone else to help you just so that you may get that door open ? Does the drivers side door also unlock (momentarily) ? Can you hear the lock motor work ? My guess is that your drivers side door lock switch is stuck in the lock position. Most likely operating mechanism is U/S, a common thing, but maybe the switch itself. You need to get that door open to work on it.

I ended up installing a Mongoose remote lock system as I was sick of diving into the doors to fix the shoddy mechanisms. Maybe one day I'll fix it properly.
Unfortunately even when I can unlock and get into the passenger's side door the Driver's side door never unlocks, its stuck. No idea how to get his door open
1982 633csi
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

It should unlock when you pull the door handle from inside. Even that won't open it?

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
euroshark90

Post by euroshark90 »

I had the same problem in my 84 e24. I took apart the locking mechanism in the doors and found it to be dry and sticky. I cleaned it well, and lubricated with outboard engine grease. I put it all back together and adjusted the actuators and it works great.
Utern

Post by Utern »

Da_Hose wrote:It should unlock when you pull the door handle from inside. Even that won't open it?

Jose
Unfortunately using the inside handle doesn't work either it just feels very stiff when you pull up on the inside handle but it still wont open. It must be something jamming it inside
Thanks for the response
1982 633csi
francoid

Post by francoid »

I am reaching at straws here but it looks like you may have to do your best to remove the door card (not ideal with door closed) and work through that...
Utern

Post by Utern »

euroshark90 wrote:I had the same problem in my 84 e24. I took apart the locking mechanism in the doors and found it to be dry and sticky. I cleaned it well, and lubricated with outboard engine grease. I put it all back together and adjusted the actuators and it works great.
Are you speaking about the key mechanism at the outside handle or the parts inside the door? I tried some key lubricant in the keyhole but unfortunately it did not work either. I am afraid Ill have to remove the seats so I can try to get access to the door card from inside the car, to try to get inside the door.
1982 633csi
francoid

Post by francoid »

Yeah, that's going to be quite painful. Am not convinced you must take the seats out though.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

It's won't be easy, but I am confident you can remove the arm rest and lower card with the door closed. That will let you get at the mechanism and hopefully get that door open.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Have you tried operating the lock with the key from side to side with the opening lever slightly pulled up? Try operating both at the same time. This sometimes works. You could also try squirting some WD40 into the keyhole with the straw attachment, then repeating the aforementioned. Alternatively, you should be able to remove the driver's seat from the passenger side. This will give you much more room to get at the doorcard. HTH!
Utern

Post by Utern »

Well I've finally figured out what the problem was with the door locking again immediately after unlocking (its been a few months since I've had a chance to work on it). It seems there is a small spring that is part of the locking assembly that pushes the door lock system back in place after you've unlocked it. The door lock assembly is part # 1838671 2 That spring has broken and now I'm looking for a replacement spring or if required a new assembly. The spring sits in between the two pieces that slide back and forth as the door is locked and unlocked (see picture location of spring assembly) When you look at that picture you see there is a lever or piece that extends to the right that piece is extended out when the door is locked and then is pulled back when unlocked
Attachments
assembly in door
assembly in door
test.jpg (102.85 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
locking assembly
locking assembly
lock assembly out of door.JPG (108.83 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
location of spring in assembly
location of spring in assembly
location of spring.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
Broken spring
Broken spring