Base line before full service.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Base line before full service.

Post by Bhart »

Winter is approaching here in Canada and before the salt trucks start covering the streets, I thought I'd get some actual data on how '87 M6 is running. This is pretty much the way I'd got it last year except for a whole lotta little electrical things that needed sorting or changing, cooling system service (culminating in new rad & thermostat). The only update that would affect performance was a new air filter.

I have upcoming plans to pull the throttle bodies (shaft is binding when hot) to clean & re sync them, replace all hoses - coolant, fuel & vacuum (while they are accessible), valve clearance check/adjustment, compression check and new plugs.

This test is with the car as-is; 6C air temp, full tank of fuel, damp streets, some new parts in trunk. I wanted to hit the streets when traffic was light. I pulled out my old Vector accelerometer and gave it a shot. First attempt went up in smoke - not even the LSD could help here. Drive to a dryer, secluded piece of road and give it a try - 6.48 seconds 0-60 MPH. Not too shabby for a 149,000 mile car. I want to order a Digisync meter to get an idea of the throttle plate balance. Yes, I have read the discussions comparing analogue fluid damped manometers but the updated website goes into detail on how their gauge is designed to read the intake pulses and I like the idea of working with digital readouts. http://www.thedigisync.com/why-the-digi ... etter.html Has anyone tried a back-to-back comparison of the two methods?

Still waiting for my gauge to arrive and I'll post some numbers before I start removing parts.
Attachments
20161105_103620sm.jpg
20161105_103620sm.jpg (153.78 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
miklilmag

Re: Base line before full service.

Post by miklilmag »

Nice,
6.48 in 60sec.
Full tank, Parts in trunk,
good base line
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: Base line before full service.

Post by Bhart »

And if I get real serious and manage to loose some weight myself, might be worth a .05....?
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E