M30B34 rev issues under load

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Rickytickytavvy

M30B34 rev issues under load

Post by Rickytickytavvy »

I have recently developed an issue with controlling the revs while under load in my 1987 635csi Automatic...

Car idles normally ( nothing new, I need to clean cold start valve so it idles a little low until it gets to temperature ), but as I give it gas the idle will suspend and lope when it reaches ~1000-1200 rpm. It happens in gear and in neutral/park - whenever it reaches that rpm level it will start "loping," like the motor's choking. It results in an almost complete power loss while in gear and goes to the brink of killing the motor, (but not quite) then spike back and drop again. Like a crappy roller coaster...

It doesn't seem like a misfire, but maybe an unmetered air issue. Still, I am going to check/replace the spark plugs and check the distributor cap.

The mechanism in the AFM moves smoothly, with no stopping or slowing when I move it manually. I'm going to check for leaks tomorrow as well when I have daylight to work in. I had a similar issue maintaining RPM when my idle control valve wiggled loose, but that was just struggling to keep idle speed and worked fine under load.

Any other ideas on what to check for? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Ricky
1987 635 CSI, the Bag'd Shark
Rickytickytavvy

Re: M30B34 rev issues under load

Post by Rickytickytavvy »

Ricky
1987 635 CSI, the Bag'd Shark
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M30B34 rev issues under load

Post by olympia57 »