turn key, no click, nothing....starter woes

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

captain awesome

turn key, no click, nothing....starter woes

Post by captain awesome »

All the lights turn on, radio works, everything, but not even a click from the starter solenoid. I swapped out relays with some spares that Ralph sent me out of desperation, but nothing. The smaller yellow wire was a hair loose at the soloenoid, but even after snugging it up, nothing changed. I tapped the starter with a large wrench just to see if it was binding and needed the old jolt, but no change. I jumped the solenoid connections and the starter spins, but doesn't engage the flywheel. Is it safe to say the bendix is out and I need a new starter?

I plan to pack up some tools tonight as well as a multimeter to try to do troubleshooting tomorrow. Any info or tips before then would be greatly appreciated.
84 633csi 5 spd

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: turn key, no click, nothing....starter woes

Post by Pod »

Doesn't sound good. However, before you spend the time changing the starter, why not "bump start" the car and drive it around a while? It may just shake something loose and get the starter motor working again. Worth a try :wink:
captain awesome

I'll try bump starting in a few. Checked the battery this morning and it was low at 12v. I hooked up some jumper cables from my work truck and let it charge a few minutes. Turn the key with the same result, no click, nothing.

I'm wondering if it's ignition switch related as the key just doesn't "feel" quite right. Like the forward engagement isn't striking right. Randomly the past week or two it's had this same problem where I turn the key and nothing happens, but immediately after turning the key to try again it would engage without hesitation. This car is becoming difficult to daily drive, it may be time to accept reality.
84 633csi 5 spd

captain awesome

Tried a couple more things:

Connected large jumper from negative post to block lift hook. No change.

Jumped 11 to 14 on diagnostic port. Click from solenoid but that's it.

I put the car in 1st and rocked the car forward to bump the flywheel a bit to see if that helped. Connected jumper 11-14 and just a click from the solenoid. I think at this point I'm looking at a bad starter.
84 633csi 5 spd

tschultz Online

Post by tschultz »

Sounds like it to me. Use the 17mm from the toolkit to get that top starter bolt!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
captain awesome

Anyone know if the starter off an m10 will fit and work properly? I know the trans fits from one to the other, but not sure about the flywheel teeth difference or not. I've got two m10's just laying around with good starters, so it certainly would make sense to use one of those if possible.
84 633csi 5 spd

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

If it turns out you need a replacement starter, consider the later M30b35 starter. It's smaller/lighter/more torque, and it's easier to install.

I don't know anything about the M10 starter.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

captain awesome

dwcains wrote:If it turns out you need a replacement starter, consider the later M30b35 starter. It's smaller/lighter/more torque, and it's easier to install.

I don't know anything about the M10 starter.
Yeah I found one of the newer smaller units for little money, but figure since I have two other starters laying around it couldn't hurt to save some cash.
84 633csi 5 spd

captain awesome

Decided to start loosening the starter bolts on my lunch and get the process started. The bolts were loose already? Decided to tighten them up and jump 11-14 again for giggles. I'll be damned if the car didn't fire right up. Not at the key switch though only by jumping the 11 - 14 posts. The plan is to make a monetary push button ignition until I can get a new switch.
84 633csi 5 spd

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Glad to hear you got it sorted!
captain awesome

Sure did. Went to run some temporary push starter wires and jiggled the ignition barrel under the column cover. Fired right up if the bat. So apparently the ignition plastic barrel that slides into the tumbler barrel had slid out just enough to not engage with the key? Either way, I tested it in multiple positions, and from what I can tell once it's in place it should stay put. No need for the push button, and I didn't have to spend a dime to fix it (so far) fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help guys.
84 633csi 5 spd

tschultz Online

Post by tschultz »

Verify your starter ground wire is good. I'm not sure that it is supposed to ground through the starter bolts like what you said you adjusted...

M10 the same I believe--after all, it is what the M30 was based on.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Pretty sure I have the turn key problem as identified on this and other threads. The finger of suspicion is pointing towards my ignition switch. Therefore I shall jump the Diagnostic Port pins and see if the engine cranks.

However my car is UK RHD M63 with an M88/3.

Can I be sure if pins 11 & 14 are the ones to jump? Does anyone know for sure the DP pin layout on UK or Euro cars?
E24 M635CSi