1984 Fuse Box relay numbering

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jezza633CSI

1984 Fuse Box relay numbering

Post by Jezza633CSI »

Is there any significance of the numbers on each plug? I am trying to put the relays back in its place as PO had them dangling next to the box. When I pull the relay off, on the plug has a number and I have 1-5. I tried looking on relay parts numbers but it then got slightly confusing. Then there is a long wire about three feet long with a port hooking back to itself. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I tried to upload pics but I think there is a minimum post limit before I can add pictures.
dwcains

Re: 1984 Fuse Box relay numbering

Post by dwcains »

You can post pics by using a hosting site:

viewforum.php?f=22

Relay thread:

viewtopic.php?t=13182
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

the relay and fuse positions can vary with the year and (exact, i.e. country-specific) model.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jezza633CSI

Post by Jezza633CSI »

Thanks dwcain. I read through that one already but it was clear as mud for me. I'll re-read later but the greatest mystery is the three foot cable with two plugs that are connected to itself like a loop.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

That sounds like something which may not be original to the car. Maybe from an alarm or audio install. Post some pics ifi you can.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Jezza633CSI

Post by Jezza633CSI »

This is the connector in question

The relays and the last plug has a 4 in the center. The rest are numbered 1-3
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I assume that you have a North American spec 633 there (it helps if you are able to say this....).

You can identify the relays using the wire colours into the bases. You need to get the correct wiring diagram for your car (eg via the wedophones link), and use it. The relay bases should slide off the fuse box; they are normally mounted on tapered dovetails, of which there ought to be a surplus on the outside of the fuse box.

On the outside of the fuse box you should have a main relay, a fuel pump relay, plus additional relay(s) that are specific to NA models, including a purge control relay. There is also a fourth relay on some NA models (yours may be one such) that was modified or dealer-fitted or something. I forget what this one was for, maybe someone else has a better memory than me....?

I suspect that the white coloured relay may not be the exact correct type; it is certainly not the original relay (they didn't start making them with that top grip design until ~1987). It may be an acceptable substitute, it may not. I'd certainly check it.

Normally the main relay and the fuel pump relay would each have a rubber boot over them. Possibly this feature was introduced at a later date, but there is nothing to stop you from fitting these to a car that never had them to start with, provided you fit the correct relays (i.e. those lacking the top grip).

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~