M90 l jet head identification

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

griffo

M90 l jet head identification

Post by griffo »

I am a out to buy another m90 l jet head but i want to know how to tell if the head is in fact a l jet head? Thanks and need help asap!!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M90 l jet head identification

Post by GRNSHRK »

griffo, got this photo from a fellow Big Couper, M90 should be in the casting, I think behind the cam sprocket :-k
Attachments
M90 on head.jpg
M90 on head.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
griffo

Post by griffo »

Thanks so the m90 heads are the same from motronic to l jet heads yea?
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

I believe the m90 on the head doesn't really mean much. I have an m90 engine and the head doesn't say m90 on it. And I have a m30b32 engine and the head says m90 on it. Both heads appear to be the same. The head gaskets when laid on top of one another line up identically. Or close enough I see no difference.other than the larger bore for the m90 engine
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

griffo wrote:Thanks so the m90 heads are the same from motronic to l jet heads yea?
The last year of the M90 was model year '81. It was the first year of Motronic . The block did not have a raised water passageway on the drivers side. I also believe there wasn't a difference in the design of the head and the manifolds, intake and exhaust, would bolt to either head but the water passages in the cylinder head were close to the combustion chambers and cracking was an issue.. The 82 engine on did have different water passage configuration and the later heads are interchangeable with an M90
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
griffo

Post by griffo »

bpoliakoff wrote:
griffo wrote:Thanks so the m90 heads are the same from motronic to l jet heads yea?
The last year of the M90 was model year '81. It was the first year of Motronic . The block did not have a raised water passageway on the drivers side. I also believe there wasn't a difference in the design of the head and the manifolds, intake and exhaust, would bolt to either head but the water passages in the cylinder head were close to the combustion chambers and cracking was an issue.. The 82 engine on did have different water passage configuration and the later heads are interchangeable with an M90

So the later ones "not l jet" had m30 style water ports compared to the m90 block yea? See mines a l jet motor.
griffo

Post by griffo »

zinnocoupe wrote:I believe the m90 on the head doesn't really mean much. I have an m90 engine and the head doesn't say m90 on it. And I have a m30b32 engine and the head says m90 on it. Both heads appear to be the same. The head gaskets when laid on top of one another line up identically. Or close enough I see no difference.other than the larger bore for the m90 engine
So for a cheaper alternative i can take a m30b32 head and put it on a early m90 and all the water ports will match and i can run m90 or b35 valves? Would be alot cheaper lol