Turbo install next weekend

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sabershark

Turbo install next weekend

Post by sabershark »

Got a turbo manifold out for Germany and turbocharger kit for mustang v6 figure it will fit since same displacement
Turbocharger is Ceramic ball bearing off a cxracing
Hope it holds on for a year or so then I would go garret for more reliability

On MechanicAly side I am OK with installaction and fabrication bUT I am a little slow when it comes to running
I need to know what I need to do to my ecu?
Ithe already has a Dinan chip or something like that
Fuel pump? Fuel injectors are ford Mustang 5.0 4 holes
I am trying to raise about 50-70 hp. Not more just for the kicks

Any ideas with links would help. And what should I do or not do
the time I saw your eyes I fell in love with you my bmw
sixxxer

Re: Turbo install next weekend

Post by sixxxer »

Did you buy the team-2-fast manifold ?

how is it looking...is it warped or nice and straight ?
sabershark

Post by sabershark »

sixxxer wrote:Did you buy the team-2-fast manifold ?

Yes sir. It is still getting here. I heard 50/50 with them. Hit or miss but I can't beat 300$ for manifold. Even here if I have to make one it will be about the same with 2daya to make one.
sabershark

Post by sabershark »

sabershark wrote:
sixxxer wrote:Did you buy the team-2-fast manifold ?

Yes sir. It is still getting here. I heard 50/50 with them. Hit or miss but I can't beat 300$ for manifold. Even here if I have to make one it will be about the same with 2daya to make one.

I will postart pic when I get it
sixxxer

Post by sixxxer »

Yeah I was wondering if they are any good... as those guys get them from Ali express for $180 and resell them.
300 ain't that bad as at least ebay has you covered .. let us know how it is when you get it.
AZ85635

Post by AZ85635 »

Sabershark - please keep posting on your attempt to Turbo your six. I have the 85 635 low compression engine 8:1 ratio which is good for a turbo I am thinking 5 psi to add 40 to 50 HP.

So very interested in your project I have looked at the exhaust manifold on ebay multiple times.

Thinking that changing the injector's to a higher flow rate would allow the use of stock engine management. important to have AFR gauge so as not to lean out engine.

I am in Phoenix AZ - not looking to blow up my engine just add a little juice to the big six

:D
1985 635 CSI Manual :D
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

You guys need to do a lot of research if you plan to turbo. It will be a continued evolution of a mproject, but you will find yourself pushing more optimizing your setup and going for more power along the way. "5-6psi--- why not bump up to 8? Well 10 isn't much more..." etc.

You can read my thread about my 633 and using Motronic and RRFPR but I think I detailed more on the same thread over on mye28.com: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126432

It will get you by with more power, but why not just do the supporting mods to actually put the turbo in its peak efficiency island at ~12psi? Why not add a nice size intercooler for safety? Upgrade your fuel pump for added safety, especially with RRFPR straining the pump.

I analyzed the costs of doing it RRFPR vs Megasquirt (After the fact) and found my frugal turbo build (with manifold, RRFPR, and intercooler already so not included) coming out to roughly ~$2500.

Pricing out with Megasquirt and it was only $900 more. Now I have control of fueling and mixture, timing, cold start setup, and I have the ability to datalog and analyze what is really happening. The performance difference of the timing alone is a HUGE difference!

You guys really need to do a lot of reading such as why you need AFR gauge, understanding mechanically how the turbo system works, why you need a wastegate, the difference between a BOV and a wastegate, turbo efficiencies, turbo sizing, manifold selection trade offs, oil drain methods, and other things to have success at this.

Making informed decisions will be cheaper and you will end up with a better car in the end. Having a target of the final product and being focused to achieve that target the most optimum way will give you success. You don't want a floating project definition that causes the first manifold you be wasted money when you realize that you didn't research enough to realize that it would not allow your ___________ to work as you planned.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
jdooth

Post by jdooth »

Op: I have the same manifold, got it about two years ago, flanges were dead flat but on of the bolt holes on the t4 flange was off center and I had to chase all of the threads. Definately go straight to atleast ms2 if you on m1.0 I have the Pinout and how to make a breakout box for the 35 pin. If i were to do it again i would have used a newer m1.3 harness out of an e24 and ms3x pnp.

Fwiw the cx turbo might be decent but if your still on a budget I'd recommend selling it and getting an BW unit.

Gl with everything, I'm getting pretty close to firing mine up, I think I missed it, but what fuel setup are you planning ?
Last edited by jdooth on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdooth

Post by jdooth »

Those injectors are gonna be close to max DC wouldn't recommend them at all, your reffering to Ford/Bosch orange 4 hole high Z's right?