Window goes up but not down......

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Rangi246

Window goes up but not down......

Post by Rangi246 »

Hi everyone

We purchased our 86 635csi in Cosmosblau a few months ago and absolutely love it. I'm relatively happy tackling most issues and thanks to the awesome knowledge on here i've managed to get quite a few of them sorted.

However, auto electrical stuff baffles me and just goes over my head. I've hit a wall with one issue and am hoping someone can help.

The left rear window will go up but not down on either the front or rear window switch. So far i've tested the motor by removing it and plugging it into the other rear window wiring and it works perfectly (both up and down). I've also tried a known working spare window motor and have the same issue. I've also tested the window switches by swapping them over with known working ones and they're all ok too. The circuit breaker has been reset and seems fine as all the other windows work perfectly.

I'm scratching my head now as i'm starting to think it might be a bad earth somewhere, but only for the down motion??? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark
Rangi246

Re: Window goes up but not down......

Post by Rangi246 »

Finally managed to figure it out!

After checking motors, switches, fuses, wiring etc, turns out the switch terminal on the motor was loose, tightened it up and its all fixed!
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Window goes up but not down......

Post by Pod »

Great to hear you fixed it!