Quality of aftermarket clutch slave cylinder?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dwcains

Quality of aftermarket clutch slave cylinder?

Post by dwcains »

So, I'm looking for a slave cylinder for my 635, and the prices vary from $14.95 (metelli) to $26.98 (FTE) to ~$120 (OEM BMW). I know I'm not buying the Metelli, because I've used their crap on my Alfa's before, and the stuff is usually DOA. But what about the FTE parts - they have 2-year/24-month warranty. Any experiences with these? Thanks in advance.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Quality of aftermarket clutch slave cylinder?

Post by hornhospital »

I've had excellent service from FTE parts. Master and slave clutch cylinders on my 633, and clutch slave cylinder on my 325is. Several years in service with zero problems.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Thanks, Ken. I just ordered the FTE part from FCP Euro, as I noticed they offer a lifetime warranty. $55 for the slave, a liter of ATE Typ 200 fluid, and Priority Mail shipping seemed like a great deal.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Hi again, Ken - were the FTE hydraulics you bought made from plastic? The slave I bought from FCP Euro sure is, although it's a weird sort of plastic which is surely infused with some powdered meteal, like the PB Blaster epoxy. Semimonthly like a well-made part, though, so I installed it, and it feels fine. If anything, the cylinder won't be prone to corrosion, and it's got a slick feel to it, so maybe the seals will last longer, too.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

raykoke

Post by raykoke »

Dean was that slave in an FTE box and part labeled FTE?

I remember reading somewhere that one vendor had supplied non FTE when FTE was listed as the manufacturer on their website. I do not recall though, if it was FCP Euro.

I buy my schtuff from Blunttech. Steve won't supply lesser quality parts.

Cheers,

Ray
'85 ///M635
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

It came in an FTE box. I'm not sure the plastic material is a bad thing, as the OEM slave in my 350Z is also plastic, and I know that's not uncommon. So far, 70K miles and it's still working. I've never had any issues dealing with FCP Euro, but when they offer several grades of a particular part, I so always avoid the cheapest, and everything they sell come with a lifetime replacement warranty.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

All the FTE cylinders I got (two slaves and one master) were aluminum.

After thinking about the aluminum vs plastic, I believe you'll have less trouble with the engineering plastic version than a cast aluminum part. Zero chance of corrosion/pitting, the #1 cause of failed clutch and brake cylinders.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Could be. It feels great, so for now I'm happy with it. The old one sure looked like hell, and AFAIK, it wasn't more than several years old. The fluid in it looked like rusty water, and I'm not sure why it was that bad. It was an ATE part, too, so not a piece of junk. Just to be safe, since I didn't know how old the fluid was, even though it was clean and clear, I hooked up the Motive pressure bleeder and flushed all the calipers with fresh ATE Typ 200.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z