Intermittent Shutoff issues

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

e24mpwr

Intermittent Shutoff issues

Post by e24mpwr »

Greetings gents - I haven't been here in a while, and I'm embarrassed that a problem brings me back.

I have an '86 M635 (9/85 build) that is having a strange problem that nobody seems to have nailed yet. I've got some experiments in the works (e.g. loaner stuff on the way), but thought I'd post here in case somebody had seen this before.

Apologies for the long story...

History:
For a while, the car would start and idle fine, but wouldn't accept throttle - would stumble/stall/die. I needed to figure it out before SharkFest 2016. After replacing the fuel pressure regulator just in case, I focused on the AFM, and borrowed one to test. I was swapping it in when I saw the rectangle adapter on the airbox side, I thought I had the wrong AFM (Bosch part numbers don't tell you much, and my normal contacts weren't handy - it didn't occur to me that my K&N was round and factory/stock might be a rectangle...shows what an amateur I am!), so I put all the old stuff back. On a whim, I cranked up the car and to my surprise it was great! I took it for a run and it was great! The next day, it started and had the same problem. Arg. The morning after, I took the AFM back out to inspect the hose between the AFM and the intake plenum, buttoned it all up and the damn thing worked! Ran great! Until the next morning. Same thing. I took it all apart again and made sure everything was really tight because SharkFest was days away and I was traveling. I returned home with a known-good M635 AFM and a new AFM-->Intake hose. But the car started, ran great and took me all the way to Chattanooga and through the weekend.

Until the ride home.

On the highway, it began to stumble briefly and just cut off. I pulled to the side, swapped in the "new" AFM and the hose, and...same issue. :|. My buddy and I tapped and poked at stuff under the hood, unplugged and replugged stuff and something worked. Awesome again. For 35 miles or so... This time we were a little more structured, and noticed that what worked was unplugging and replugging the AFM.

The car made it back home with only a couple more instances, both of which were solved by the unplug/replug trick, as were the later occurrences of the problem. When it wasn't having the issue, the car started, idled and ran great. Until it didn't.

Shortly before SharkFest this year the problem got worse. The trick had stopped working. It would idle fine, but accept no throttle.

I took it to my mechanic, and warned him it had been pretty intermittent for me. He eventually replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and it fixed it for him.

I picked up the car. It was running a little rich, and popping when I let off the throttle or under deceleration. Before my buddy Greg and I left for SharkFest, we moved the AFM spring a couple clicks to lean it out and it seemed much better.

Until it wasn't. About 20 miles in it did the stall/die thing at a steady speed (like it did on the way home last year). I pulled over, did the "trick" and it worked. For about 50 miles. After the second occurance I did the trick and drove it to a (sorta) nearby BMW dealership. They got the above story and were puzzled. The one tech who had seen something like this said he'd like to see what the fuel pressure looked like when this was happening, but had no idea about cause. They offered to let me keep it there for the weekend if I didn't want them to take a look. Given the highly intermittent nature, the cost of BMW dealership labor and the fact that nobody in that shop had seen an M6 in a decade much less worked on one lead me to park it and rode to SharkFest sharkless (but it was great fun anyway :))

I spoke to several people over the weekend, and there were a number of theories. Everybody seemed pretty mystified by "the trick" since it ran counter to a lot of the theories (why would it solve a bad relay or wonky fuel pump, etc.)

I came to get it yesterday, and it was flawless the whole 90-mile drive home. I drove it to work today (less than 20-mile round-trip) and it was still fine. It is still a little rich. It is a federalized car, and I do have an O2 sensor, but I'm not 100% sure it actually has a Johnson box or whatever. I need to find/follow the wires and see. (I'm probably going to rip all that crap out now since they aren't inspecting for it and the car wasn't designed to run like that. I also have Fahey's swappable cat/straight-pipe setup that will always be in straight-pipe mode other than inspection-time soon. Anyway...)

I'm not going to count on the problem solving itself. The main suspects are:
- Connector to the AFM
- ECU
- Fuel Pump
- Relay
- Something else electrical

We did notice in the first pull-over of this year's trip that the ground strap that goes to the valve cover was missing, so we replaced it, but the second bork happened 50 miles later.

I'm thinking having the ECU re-flowed wouldn't be a bad idea even if it doesn't turn out to be that, but I'd love to hear any other theories. I've got a loaner M635 ECU coming at some point soon.

Again - apologies for the very long story, and thanks in advance for any help!

Pic of my car today just for fun!
raykoke

Re: Intermittent Shutoff issues

Post by raykoke »

Pretty car!

I'd suspect for some reason the AFM signal is not always being read by the ecu.

Before sending the ecu off, I'd spray all the connecting plugs (including AFM) with De-oxit to see if it helps.

Good luck,

Ray
'85 ///M635
MGene

Post by MGene »

Be careful spraying contact cleaners near plastics that may not be made for the chilling effect. You can spray on quetips or like that and wipe the contacts carefully. Which computer does your car use? 055? Talk after my auction if so.

What you have is the old, how do you know if you fixed what it was doing when it did what it wasn't supposed to do until it quits doing what it did when it did it? It rolls off the tongue quite eell if you tell it to enough customers. \:D/
raykoke

Post by raykoke »

Is DeoxIT® safe on plastic?

I have noticed that the spray versions of DeoxIT® have a 'regular' and a 'safe for plastics' version. I refurbish old circuit board type video games and I am interested in your product, but I don't really need a spray application. I was thinking more along the lines of the 100% DeoxIT® liquid solutions that require either drip or brush on applications. Is it the propellant in the spray cans that are potentially unsafe for plastics or is it the chemical composition of the product itself? Is the 100% liquid solution safe on plastics/circuit boards?

Thanks

…………………….

For the most part, all of the sprays are safe on plastics; however, there are some considerations to think about for each specific job.

In your case, if you have easy access to the areas you need to treat and do not wish to use a spray; the 100% formulation is perfect. All of the DeoxIT® 100% products are safe on plastics.

Just to clarify the differences in the sprays and help with choosing the proper one please view the following page on our web site.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.66/.f

Additionally, you are correct with your above statement. It is the propellant and/or carrier solvent which provides any concerns, however slight.
The regular versions of the sprays and liquids (D5, G5, S5 and F5) have a carrier solvent and/or propellant which provide a flushing action. With this action the carrier or propellant is slower to evaporate (2-3 minutes), possibly exposing the surrounding area to the solvent. We always recommend removing any excess and overspray after treatment, this helps to minimize any possible effects from occurring. Additionally we recommend performing a small test of the product prior to large scale application.

The nonflammable versions of the sprays (DN5, GN5 and SN5), have a carrier solvent that will evaporate almost instantly when sprayed. You loose the flushing action, however you gain the nonflammable attribute, prevents overspray and is also plastic safe. Again, we recommend performing a small test of the product prior to large scale application.

As with all of the DeoxIT® 5% formulations, once the carrier solvent and/or propellant has evaporated, you are left with 100% of the DeoxIT® product.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it. ... /KB.215/.f

;-)
'85 ///M635
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Great information about the DeoxIT. Thanks!
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2