1984 633CSI - Cannot shut of the engine.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: 1984 633CSI - Cannot shut of the engine.

Post by Brucey »

the correct OEM main relay is usually in a hermetically sealed aluminium enclosure and usually has a layout diagram printed on the side in black ink, clearly showing that the relay outputs are separated from one another when the relay is 'off'.

Normally it doesn't seem to matter much if the outputs are not isolated but under some kinds of fault condition it might do.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

So, I had the wrong relay in the main relay... it was not the dual output kind. Terminal 30 and 68 were reversed, so the car would run, but never shut off....

Bottom line is I have no voltage to terminal 68. Another new iggy did not make a difference, so am thinking that the ECU is to blame now.

What do you think?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Doubtful. The ECU has more to do with engine operation and little to do with other systems. It runs, and apparently runs well. The ECU is working. I think your problem is wiring related.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

Troubleshooting still.... It looks like I read the wrong terminal on the 5 prong relay... I think I have the wrong main and a bad relay.

The ignition is turning on what the relay thinks is terminal 30, when in fact it wanted to turn on terminal 86, which is supposed to be the terminal to the left of the 87/87a if they are on top. The relay I am using plugs in its terminal 30 which is supposed to be from the battery.

So, I am getting a new main relay. 5 pin, dual output with the terminal 86 on the left of the stacked 87/87a, and terminal 30 below the 87/87a stack.

Could it be that easy? No way!!
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

The correct main relay let the car start just fine, but still will not shut off. As I think Brucey mentioned, I must have something backfeeding into the wire on terminal 86. That will be a PITA to find.

I am going back to figuring out why I blow fuse 23 when I try to get illumination from the dashlights. Maybe, I will find that I broke or pinched a wire when I had the cluster out....
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

Well, I took the cluster out again, and put in a new light switch and a new old speedometer with good gears, and the left instrument light started working, and so did the speedometer, so that is 1 1/2 victories. If I turn the dimmer up to high then fuse 23 still blows, so the right side of the lighting circuit is broke somewhere. I have another cluster board, but from a 528e 1982 automatic with the same instrument layout Think it will work in a 1983 633csi 5 speed?

I still cannot find what is keeping the main relay energized causing the car to stay running. Pulling the relay out is not a good way to run it, so I am going to get a black rocker switch and put it into the wire feeding terminal 86 of the main relay. I will keep metering in hopes of finding what 8s stuck and back feeding, but for now I need an inside the car method to shut it off.
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

Whoops, on that last post I was referencing if the 1982 528e automatic instrument cluster would work in the 1984 (not 1983) 633csi 5 speed.
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

Problem SOLVED: I put a rebuilt main circuit board in that a fellow in the Netherlands was selling and voila - the car now turns off with the key. The right turn signal panel light work also now.

And now on to fix the fan blower switch that runs on high only for heat or AC.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Moon-Man wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am Problem SOLVED: I put a rebuilt main circuit board in that a fellow in the Netherlands was selling and voila - the car now turns off with the key. The right turn signal panel light work also now.

And now on to fix the fan blower switch that runs on high only for heat or AC.
Which main circuit board - in the dash clocks?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

The main circuit board for the instrument cluster is the one that I swapped out.
Moon-Man

Post by Moon-Man »

I also changed out the fan control switch in the panel, and now both fans are variable again. I tried soldering in a new transistor (a bigger one), but I did a crappy soldering job in the small space, so I moved to another switch I had and just changed out the broken connector with a new Cherry and all was good again....

Now on tot the next issue... fix the cruise control;... maybe.